For the past few years, I’ve done small Twelve Days of Christmas gifts for Brice, and it’s been very fun. Except it keeps getting harder each year to come up with something new and fun and silly (and not costing a gazillion dollars, like it would if I bought seven swans and such) (also, where would I put it all?). But I used to dream that when I was a famous authoress—so ridiculously famous that publishers would jump to publish anything with my name on it—I would write a volume of poetry with just one of pretty much every poetic form I could find. And thus this year’s twelve days were born. And since I was going to be writing poetry, I thought, “Well, why not post it on the blog?”
The answer to that question is probably amply apparent by now. The whole blog thing seemed like a good idea at the time, but by about day #2 I realized something. Goofy, lame-o-rific poems for which my ever-forbearing, ever-generous husband would at least give a courtesy chuckle really may not bear much more public scrutiny.
Never being one to shield myself from mind-numbing, soul-cringing embarrassment, however, I kept on going. And now you know why I hope to write novels, not poetry. However, fortunately, the end has come and we may now return to Brice’s wonderful updates and my random, ambling narratives of life at the Stay household. Stay tuned for the following epic adventures: Sweet potatoes! Toilets! Sun cookies! Gifts! Em dashes, semicolons, and other less common punctuation marks! Far too many exclamation points!! And more!!! (In the improbable event that I ever actually write up all the stuff I’ve been meaning to.)
And in the meantime, happy new year! (!!!!)
the 12 days was quite an education - who knew some of those poetic forms existed :>
ReplyDelete