Warning: If you are inclined to blush over words like
“ovulation,” you may want to skip this one. Also, if you want the short version,
skip down to the recap in the last paragraph.
| When in doubt, add a cute picture of your child in a box. |
Several months after I gave birth to Addra, I started
noticing weird cramping—weird because it kept convincing me that my period was
coming, but then nothing would happen for another two weeks. This went on for
several months before I realized this probably meant something. It was another
several months before I realized it had a name: mittelschmerz, for middle pain. It’s a pain like menstrual cramping
that comes around ovulation time. Apparently it’s normal for many women, and
according to the Googoracle, it lasts up to two days.
Or in my case, three.
And then, in July, six. Only on and off, but six days did
seem a little excessive.
I have a family history of trouble with all those “female
parts.” Ovarian cysts, endometriosis, and fibroids, oh my! So I figured it was
about time I get things checked out. An appointment with my doctor (who, in the
midst of the ever-lovely pap smear, said everything seemed fine) led to an
ultrasound just in case.
Which is where the real whining in this post starts. Also,
as I have mentioned before, perhaps you think I talk too much about pee? If so,
you should just skip this paragraph. … (Go ahead, skip it.) … Are you aware
that one hour before getting this sort of ultrasound, you’re supposed to drink
32 ounces of water and not pee? Good
golly, I probably don’t even drink 32 ounces in a day (and I don’t need any
posts commenting that dehydration is probably exactly what’s wrong with me,
thank you very much). I knew it was going to be bad, but I had no idea how bad. We’re talking I’m-driving-to-the-appointment-approaching-tears-because-I’m-going-to-explode-and-I-don’t-think-I’ve-peed-my-pants-since-elementary-but-I-might-break-that-streak-today
kind of bad. The receptionist blandly declared that she’d never had any
problems with drinking this much water for an ultrasound, but she knew other
people sometimes did. And then, noticing that her statement was not comforting
and I was still looking at the clock every 15 seconds, she took pity on me and
said I could pee a little tiny bit if I thought I could manage it. Oh yes,
believe me, I was going to find a way to manage it. That was almost worse
(almost, but not quite) because I had to start and then stop. Do you have any idea how hard that is? The self-control!
The angst! Ah, but afterward, so. much. better. I still couldn’t sit, though,
and I was still pacing a bit. This had led me to a conclusion that I have often
suspected (see here for evidence). My bladder really is itsy bitsy. It’s just a
fact.
So, moving on. Got an ultrasound, external and internal (fun
times!). Got the results. Little tiny fibroid, but nothing else (and little
fibroids are quite common and not a cause for concern). Soooo…. (drum roll,
please!) … There’s nothing wrong with my physical health as far as we can tell.
(Snide remarks about my mental health are unnecessary.)
And here’s where I do some more whining and recognize that
it’s incredibly super-duper lame-o-rific whining. First of all, I really am
very grateful there’s nothing seriously wrong and nothing I need to get surgery
for; given my family history, it was a real concern. But. I also really wish I
understood why my body has decided to go all spazzy on me. Or rather, I really
wish my body wouldn’t decide to go
all spazzy on me. And I feel whiny about it because, of course, pleeeeenty of
people have it far worse than I do. (Just ask, for example, my middle sister.
Egad is all I have to say on that subject.) So I should really just buck up and
be happy and deal with it, you know. Which is mostly what I do. But I still really
wanted to whine about it a bit.
Plus, being whiny improved the title of my blog post. It wouldn’t
have felt right as “Mittelschmerz: The Good, the Bad.” … Something’s just
missing there. And I certainly wouldn’t want to ruin my blog post’s title by
having a good attitude! Ah, the suffering I do for my craft.
So, the recap: I appear to be reasonably healthy. (Ish. But
maybe I should start drinking more water?) I do still have annoying cramps, but
since they’re not completely debilitating, I’m mostly quite grateful. Except
for occasional bouts of extreme whininess.
The End.
No comments:
Post a Comment