16 November 2011

exhaustible

It turns out self control is an exhaustible resource. Ask people not to eat some cookies and they wonkt, but they will give up more easily on a later difficult task than someone who wasn't asked to resist. Today at work was fairly exhausting in self-control terms: systems failures, unexpected overtime work, urgent demands for immediate feedback, meetings, multiple phone calls that were interrupted by other phone calls, and major contract / financial drama. And unfortunately, I don't have anyone I can get help from on _any_ of these issues. So when I got home and C was throwing a temper tantrum about eating the delicious dinner that J had prepared (which C loves eating) I was very grateful that J responded calmly and with love. Although my reserves were nearly exhausted, her help and example gave me a boost so I could help our daughter get through her bedtime routine without any shouting or plopping her into her bed crying. So thank you my dear for being so wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. You're so nice. You are usually the one who saves me from my very exhaustible self-control at the end of a long day. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so great to have a spouse who can and will take over, and has that patience when we don't. Hooray for fabulous spouses!

    ReplyDelete