12 November 2011

Shadow Government


We parents like to think that we’re in charge. We like to think that we run the show.

We are wrong.

Today we were pretending that I was the commander and Coriel was the assistant, first class. This actually turned into a very good way to get Coriel to help with the cleaning. I issued orders, Brice as second in command relayed them, and Coriel snapped to attention.

Addra was the only one without a title, and while we usually pretend that she’s our mascot, today I realized the truth.

We’re the figureheads. She’s the shadow government.

She lifts up her arms pathetically, we pick her up.

She squirms, we change her diaper.

She heads toward something dangerous, we distract her with shiny objects and toys.

She cries, we sing to her, dance with her, feed her, cater to her every whim (if only we can figure out what she wants!).*

Pretty much, she requires something, we snap to attention. I imagine it must be nice to be the power behind the throne.

*I suppose this makes her a shadow government with a very bad messenger service.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. This is so true, it's scary, really. :-) We all have our own little shadow governments going on. Wow. This post made me smile. You two always have such a fun and unique way of looking at things! And by that, I mean that I love the way you look at things. Because then you share them with us, and I get to laugh uproariously because I totally understand what you're talking about!

    ReplyDelete