07 March 2012

Linkdump


It’s that time again, my friends. The tabs in Firefox have reached critical mass, and I think I will be exploding if I don’t cut back. So, in case you’re even remotely interested in all the junk I am, here you go. The linkdump du jour.

First of all, don’t for get to vote! For me, of course! For the Mormon Lit Blitz! mormonartist.net/2012/02/lit-blitz-voting-instructions/

Interesting comments from Orson Scott Card on portrayals of evil in fiction. Among other things, I liked his very succinct classifications: evil depicted in fiction, evil advocated in fiction, and evil enacted by fiction. Of course, it must also be said that our Uncle Orson is (as usual) a tad bit long-winded.*

Mothering AWESOMENESS about what it means to be a mommy blogger and how you just can’t do it all and how blogs make you look shinier than you really are. Loved it. Completely related to the rained-on sock picture. And I swear her garden could be my garden.

An interesting (and again, excessively long) article on polygyny and whether it will be practiced eternally. I have no way of knowing if his point are all equally valid (though many seem quite good to me), and frankly I’m not willing to research it extensively at this time. However, if any of you scriptorian/historian folk (Dad and Makani) have anything to say on the subject, you can let me know.

Someday I will become a coupon person. Really. No, really, I really will. Just as soon as I get the rest of my households ducks in a row (you know, things like cooking and doing laundry and vacuuming). So, pretty much, never. But when that day (never) comes, I’ll be ready with some tips on how to start.

Um, yeah. Someone (can’t remember who) told me to read this wonderful article by Elder Maxwell about the Creation. I’ll get to it. Just after I start couponing. http://www.ldsces.org/content/talks/general/2002-maxwell-our-creators-cosmos__eng.pdf

A quite rational discussion of why picking on Mormons is totally okay in our day of political correctness. Interesting.

An LDS writing reference for me, may or may not be useful someday. Couldn’t figure out what to do with it besides linkdump it.

This woman just makes me laugh. I’ve included a post about how she’s going to end up marrying Harry Potter** and a really gross, appallingly funny post about shoveling poo at a waterpark (K-onna, don’t read this).

A post that I think wonderfully captures the tension of being a mother and of trying to take care of your home and your children and everything else. It really captured how I personally feel about that tension. It’s a difficult line to walk. (And I’m totally getting rid of some of our junk.)

Ah, ways to get organized and get your kids involved. If only I was organized enough to start getting organized.

And… success! I have achieved the joy of only six tabs left. Sigh of happiness.

*And who knew that my spellchecker was going to change “tadbit” to “tidbit”? Who knew “tad bit” was two words? Not me. Oh the editorial shame.
**Please note that this Harry Potter post is quite funny, but if you surf to the Harry Potter needs therapy one, it sort of isnt.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read your links! Just a little side note: if you ever decide to join pinterest I have a friend who pins the articles he wants to save and read for a later date. And then I get to pin them too :) Also, I really like this article a lot and thought you might find it interesting: http://www.feministmormonhousewives.org/?p=8666. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the article--interesting read and lots to think about. I'm going to finally give pinterest a try; I'm just worried about wasting too much time (believe me, I already have plenty of other ways to waste time). That's why I'd never joined. :)

      So I'm trying it now, but I already have a problem with it--if your desired item doesn't have a big enough image that pinterest can capture, you can't pin it. Is there a way around this?

      Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. It's a good concept.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I made a board dedicated to "quotes," just for you. ;)

      Delete