![]() |
| Me, age 6, 7, 8ish? |
A couple weeks ago, while seeking a small can of
color-matched paint to do some minor repairs to the walls in our home, I had the
following conversation with the Lowe’s paint person (she probably has a more
official title than that):
“What finish level do you want?” she asked. (There are
finishes ranging from matte to high gloss.)
“Whatever type of finish the chip is,” I said. “Since it’s
the main paint color in my house, I think semigloss.” (Semigloss and satin
paints are better for high-traffic rooms in houses with kids because they are
easier to clean than matte.) Note that I said this without even looking at the
paint chip I am holding.
She looked down at the paint chip and then back up at me.
Did I imagine her moment of confusion? “Um, this actually looks like matte. . .
. Do you have a hard time cleaning things off the walls?”
Yes, I thought. Especially that drawing the girls did that
one day behind the laundry hamper.
She continued. “Does the paint come off when you try to
scrub?”
I nodded. I got my matte-finish beige paint and left, my
brain swirling with surprise.
I had lived for nearly three years in a house where every
interior wall was painted in a matte finish, and I had never realized it. Not only had I not realized it, but when
asked to consider what kind of paint it was, I was certain it was something
else because that’s what I expected.
I looked at these walls every day and hadn’t seen reality.
Now let’s talk about something else for a moment, shall we?
Let’s talk about my eyes. Not their vision or my need for glasses (although
that certainly seems relevant at the moment).
Their color.
My eyes are green. Only green. Would you not agree that
these eyes are green? And as far as I can tell from pictures of myself that I
scoured through recently, they have always been green. Well, except for that
sky blue newborn phase.
Do you know what color I used to think they were? If you
asked my teenage self, I would have curled my lip in distaste and said, “muddy
green,” with emphasis on the muddy. I
might also have said “hazel” (which, sorry to all you hazel people out there, I
used to think was pretty much a muddy green).
In my mind is this scene from, I think, Joe vs. the Volcano. It’s the opening credits, and the song “Sixteen
Tons” is playing as workers head toward a depressing, gloomy office. Amid the trudging
feet of mindless drones is one tiny flower (a dandelion?) and a little patch of
grass. And the people’s feet grind that flower and that grass into the mud. That
is what I used to think of my eye color.*
This belief held sway up through and including at least much
of college. In fact, I recall that as a freshman I got an email from Brice** in
which he mentioned listening to “Green-Eyed Lady” and thinking of me.*** And I
thought that was sweet and slightly idealized/delusional—since my eyes were
only sort of green. It has only been in maybe the last five years or so that I’ve
really scrubbed the mud out of my eyes (and it still takes a conscious effort
to say just “green” rather than “brownish green”).
So now that I’ve hit you over the head with that, here’s my
point: I looked at those eyes every day growing up, just like I look at these
matte walls. And yet, I didn’t see
them. My perception was reality.
As I have slowly realized this, it’s been sort of a shock. I
asked the all-knowing Google if it was possible for eye color to change when
you’re an adult (it is, but it is pretty uncommon and usually involves
accident, disease, or weird genetics). I stared at myself in the mirror for any
sign of that brown I was sure I had. This is why I scoured through all those
pictures of me as a kid. Have I really always had green eyes? As far as I can
tell, yes.
I will briefly veer off-course here for a moment to say that
in my childhood fantasies of exactly how I would look if I could choose, I had “raven
hair” and “violet eyes.” I blame Anne of Green Gables for this. But if I couldn’t
have my violet eyes, I would have opted for straight greeny green, with no mud.
The eye color I already had.
I have wondered how I could have spent all those years
ignoring the reality right before me, and I have concluded that there a few
different options. One possibility: someone said it to me, and it stuck. Or I
read it in a book I identified with, and it stuck (see Anne above, if you don’t
think that’s possible). Or it was just a symptom of an overall attitude about
my looks and personality. I was the type of person who had muddy, dirty green
eyes—not the type of person with clear, beautiful green ones.
I don’t know the specific truth here. And I don’t really
have a moral to the story or a quick answer to what it all means. What I do
have is a hope that my children never get perceptions like that stuck to them
such that they can’t see who they really are. That I never stick such words to
them. And also a hope that eventually I can scrub some other words from me as
well.****
Are there ideas that are sticking to you, that define how
you see yourself? Are they true? Is their attitude true? There is a world of
difference between “brown and green” and “muddy green.” Are you looking at
green and seeing mud? Are you looking at matte paint and seeing semigloss, just
because that’s what you’re used to seeing or what you expected to see? Are you fat, lazy, zitty, grandma-armed,
slow, bad at [fill-in-the-blank], hormonal, stupid?
Look again. Don’t see semigloss because that’s what you’re
used to seeing (and honestly, let me just say that I wish I was seeing
semigloss instead of matte because boy are my walls dirty—but that’s an
entirely different issue). Start with seeing nothing at all, and then really
look. You may see something different.
Okay, lecture over. Now go watch Joe vs. the Volcano while you repaint your house (or, better yet,
come repaint mine).
*I wonder how accurate
my memory of that movie is. Is that really the way the movie starts?
**This was before we
were dating but after I’d already realized I liked him.
***This should
probably have been a clue that he liked me too, but I didn’t really believe
that he might have liked me.
****Actually, all this
looking at some of my childhood stuff was good for that too. I read some lovely,
complimentary words from a couple of my high school teachers that directly
contradicted some uglier ones from a college professor. I had kept them both,
though—the lovely words and the ugly ones. When I again ran across that message
from the professor, I almost clung to it and kept it as I had done for all
these years. Then I thought, “No, I really don’t need this in my life.” Then I
almost kept it anyway, until in a moment of courage I gave it to Brice, who
tore it up and threw it away. So far I have resisted going through the trash
and fishing it back out. Why would I want to? I have no idea.

lol good stuff. I have always thought of my eyes as hazel as well, although Michelle calls them green. I don't have a negative association with them, but I think there is also something to different perceptions, and colors being particularly hard to nail down, since there are gazillions of them, and only a small number of words (that most people know anyway). Did I miss the point of the post? No, I just didn't address it very much -- I love the point of the post as well, It just made me think about the tangent of the post or something like that :P
ReplyDeleteYou make me laugh, Kem. Yeah, I think perceptions are weird too--although I don't generally think of colors as particularly difficult, unless you're trying for a really specific shade, or trying to color match over the phone or something. Although, now that I think about it, I do remember a time when my friend Katie and I almost came to blows over whether her shirt was green-blue or blue-green. In retrospect, I should have let her win; it was her shirt, after all. :)
DeleteOr trying to color match over email. That's hard, too.
DeleteMeghan--indeed. :)
DeleteI love this. I have always thought of my eyes as hazel as well. Although, I believe mine truly are. But maybe I should start calling them green/gold! :) Because, truly, they're not greenish-brown, but greenish-gold. Hmmmm... I like the sound of that. About the way we see ourselves - have you seen that dove commercial where they bring women in and have them describe themselves to a sketch artist, and then have someone else describe them to a sketch artist, and then they compare the two? It's fascinating to watch, and I've wondered since I saw that commercial how would I describe myself to a sketch artist? Have I really spent enough time looking at myself to be able to do that? You would think that in all my years I would have, but is that really looking? Or is that just spending time with a certain part of my face because I am putting make-up on it, or plucking it, or washing it, or picking at it, but not really seeing what is there. I'm not sure that I could do a very good job of it. But, I'd sure like to do that experiment. I think it was sad to see the difference in the two pictures afterwards, and to see the sadness in the women's faces as they looked at how they saw themselves and how others saw them, and that how others saw them was a more true portrayal of the way they looked, but the way they saw themselves was not very attractive. Thanks for the food for thought!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I did see that commercial. It was sad, interesting, and far too real. Love you, my gorgeous redheaded Marno!
DeleteI think the point of this post is clear: You were really quite a cute little girl. I see a lot of (younger) you in Coriel!
ReplyDeleteYes, well, I've always been quite adorable. *Fluffs hair.*
Delete