18 December 2013

We Now Return You (Briefly) to the Topic of Homeschooling

Okay, here's the thing. I have been thinking a ton about the next several homeschooling-related posts I want to write. I haven't forgotten about it at all. I have lots of thoughts I want to get down just to clarify for myself and to share with anyone else who might be interested. The problem, however, is a complete and total lack of motivation. Ugh. I would like to blame it on this (and frankly, I think it's probably fair to lay some of the blame there), but plenty of people still manage to get things done even when they feel bleh. So . . . whatever.

Anyway, that was not the point of this post. The point was that even though I've been thinking about the homeschooling stuff, I haven't been writing it up. And then, just today, someone shared this video with me, and I thought, "I must pass this on." Here is a teenage boy doing a TED Talk about what he thinks education should be about. In the last few minutes he gets into his curriculum (and wow! is he epic or what?), but the first half or so talks about education and such as a whole.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am sure that homeschooling isn't a great solution for everyone. But even if homeschooling doesn't interest you at all, I think the idea behind this boy's talk is fantastic food for thought and should perhaps affect the way we go about teaching our children, both formally and informally.

Okay, here you go:


No comments:

Post a Comment