The Saga of the Washing Machine
Day 1, Saturday: We arrive in Alice and plan to get some
laundry done. This is suddenly bumped up in priority when Koa throws up all
over his clothing and socks and our kitchen floor. Brice turns on the faucet to
let hot water into our washing machine, and it spray/leaks. So he turns it off.
We try the cold water. Nothing. Happily, we also have a laundry room sink, so Brice
does a bit of handwashing. Using our mop handle as an agitator. Because barf
laundry is gross.
Day 2, Sunday: We take the day off from worrying about
laundry.
Day 3, Monday: I call maintenance. They say they’ll send
someone on Tuesday.
Day 4, Tuesday: At 5:05 pm, I suddenly realize no one has
come. I call, and the office is closed.
Day 5, Wednesday: I call maintenance first thing. The
plumber comes a few hours later and fixes the leaky hot water, makes sure the
cold is working, and leaves me to start my laundry.
I get two loads of laundry done before I realize something
odd: The “warm” load is steaming hot (literally). The “cold” load is steaming
hot (still literally). When I turn off the hot faucet to try to force cold, we
get no water at all.
Day 6, Thursday: I am now on a first-name basis with Sharon,
the maintenance office lady. She’s very nice, by the way, very friendly. I let
her know about the “cold” laundry, and she sends out the plumber again. I’m
pretty sure they’re thinking, “Stupid Americans can’t turn the faucets the
right way.”
The plumber comes. It turns out that, at least in this case,
I am not a stupid American. Sure, the cold water hose works, but it still doesn’t
come into the washer. The plumber informs me I need the actual machine
serviced, not just the plumbing.
Sharon calls to schedule a new machine to be delivered to me
on Friday.
Day 7, Friday: The switch-out is incredibly fast. We’re
talking less than ten minutes. One machine out, one machine in, done. While the
nice service guy is finishing up, Ammon comes to talk to him, informing him
that he let a bee in the open door. The man chats with Ammon, pointing out that
without bees, we’d have no honey and no flowers. Ammon then tells him that if
there was no honey, the bears would start breaking into the human houses to try
to get all our stores of honey. This is all very important because Ammon is
adorable and distracting.
I start up a load of laundry before he leaves, to make sure
it’s working. Hooray! We have cold water! The maintenance guy leaves, and Ammon
and I hang out in the living room while the other kids play in the spare room.
Ten, maybe twenty minutes pass.
Ammon gets up to walk through the kitchen (which is connected
to the laundry room) to join his siblings. There is a strange, sloshing sound.
The whole kitchen and dining room floor is flooded.
I call Sharon. Hysterical laughter.
The maintenance fellow and his partner are back again to
help us clean up the mess. (Oh, I’m so glad they came to help clean it up
because it would have taken hours with just me and the kids and our towels and
wimpy mop.) It turns out that Ammon was so charming with his deep thoughts
about bears and honey that the maintenance guy forgot to connect the drainage
hose to the sink. He is abjectly apologetic. I can only laugh. These things
happen, after all.
Day 7, later. I do several more loads of laundry. Everything
works. The dryer is kind of wimpy, but who really cares at this point? We have
clean clothing! More than we even have hangers for! We sigh happily.
The End
Good gravy! What a lot of laundry adventures! Glad you finally got some clean clothes.
ReplyDeletethanks for the lols :) -- glad it all worked out in the end :)
ReplyDelete