22 March 2020

Part 5: Courage and Power


On the other hand, sometimes following God and being like our Heavenly Parents requires boldness and loudness too. It’s not always quiet. And even the quiet goodness sometimes requires great courage and power. So I love these traits because I feel like God has given us the ability to do rockstar things! We can be powerful and brave and strong because we are like our Heavenly Parents.

To me, there are two broad categories here: courage (which most often includes doing things we’re afraid to do but that are right) and power (which involves knowing how and when to use power righteously).

Also, a special shoutout to Moroni’s courage below—refusing to deny his beliefs, even if it would kill him. And a special shoutout to all who have done that throughout history. I mean, wow.


·         Boldness, bravery, daring (Mos. 22:11, Moro. 8:21).
·         Courage, strength to work toward bravery—“they hushed their fears” (Mosiah 23:28). Samuel spoke despite knowing the people didn’t want to hear him (Hel. 13:5). “They put to death every Nephite that will not deny the Christ. And I, Moroni, will not deny the Christ” (Moro. 1:2–3). (See also Alma 53:20–21.)
·         Speaking truth boldly—“know ye not that I speak the truth? Yes, ye know that I speak the truth” (Mos. 12:30).


·         Power in Christ to do “whatsoever thing is expedient” (Mor. 7:33; see also Mos. 5:15).
·         Righteous use of power—“I, Pahoran, do not seek for power, save...to preserve the rights and the liberty of my people” (Alma 61:9).
·         Additional power when fighting for a just cause—they were “inspired by a better cause, for they were not fighting for monarchy nor power but they were fighting for their homes and their liberties, their wives and their children, and their all, yea, for their rites of worship and their church” (Alma 43:45).

No comments:

Post a Comment