29 June 2011

Aspirations


Depending on my mood, a given event can be either inspirational or depressing. Inspirational as I think, “Yeah, that’s what I want to do, that’s who I want to be.” Depressing as I sigh, “I will never manage that.”

Take today, for example, reading Shannon Hale’s blog (http://oinks.squeetus.com/) and now Dean Hale’s blog (http://www.dreadcrumbs.com/). Honestly, how many people do you know who can relate snow, zombies, and poo in ways that make you laugh out loud despite the baby sleeping in your lap who you don’t want to shake awake?*

After wiping the tears of delight from my eyes, I thought “Yeah, that’s the kind of funny I want to be.” And then I sighed. “I will never manage that.”**

*Go now. Read it. Do it (you know you want to). You will never look at these things the same way again. Here’s a direct link: http://www.dreadcrumbs.com/2010/03/the-snowzombiefeces-triad.html. Go. GO. GO!
**This blog post, despite appearances, is actually not a cry for approval and reassurance that I am, indeed, delightful, funny, and the wittiest thing since… something very, very witty. No, I may never be funny enough to write about goats, but maybe if I keep trying very hard, I may someday be funny enough to write about anteaters. Or xiphiases (xiphia? xiphieae?). Until then, I’ll just have to practice.***
***Hence the blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment