17 February 2012

Embarrassment, Curry, and Other Good Stuff

Because Semi-Public Humiliation Just Isn’t Enough
You may have thought I wrote that letter, Hello, Jordan Sandberg, solely to amuse and horrify my current friends and family. You would be wrong. Through the magic of Facebook, I sent it to poor, unsuspecting “Jordan,” with whom I have had no contact for about 12 years. (And he even wrote back). It’s funny, really, because this event that was so monumental in my mind … he didn’t remember it. Oh yeah, he remembered liking me and all (phew! I’m not delusional), and he alluded to some other embarrassments (because, honestly, there were certainly enough to go around). But the ice skating incident … nada. Life is weird that way.

Please let it be noted, however, that he did remember my ability to read and walk at the same time. And he considered it one of my definite selling points.

Drum Roll, Please … The Lit Blitz
As you may recall, today my story gets posted to the Mormon Artist blog, and you can read it here. In case you are lacking for words to describe the sheer magnificence of my writing, I have taken the liberty of making some suggestions:

“Dear Jeanna,
Your story was brilliant. Like War and Peace, only shorter. Like Hamlet, except with fewer dead people. Like Finnegan’s Wake, but, you know, coherent. More moving than gravity. More touching than a toddler in a toy store. Truly, you have changed my life.
Sincerely, [insert your name here]”

This is just a suggestion, you understand.

Too Much Curry
It turns out that we are constitutionally incapable of making small batches of curry. What was supposed to be a “small” pot last week turned into a meal to feed about 8 or 9 hungry adults. Hooray for leftovers!

Sulking
A few days ago, we were eating some Valentine’s chocolate for dessert, and Coriel started begging for more. I told her, in a remarkably gentle voice, that she couldn’t have any more. Immediately she started to cry this wail that was just verging on fake. Then she paused, ran over to the couch, flopped on it, and started crying again. A moment later, she stopped again suddenly, looked up at me, and said, “That’s called sulking.” After which she began to cry again. She did not receive more candy.
Wearing, if I remember correctly, three jackets
and a few pairs of gloves.


Coats and Hats and Mittens, oh my!
Recently Addra is super jazzed about wearing as much clothing as possible. She sees jackets hanging on the rack by our front door or the rack in Coriel’s room, and she is determined that she must put them on. She points emphatically and makes that cute grunty-squeaky imploring noise “unh unh unh” until I take the coat down and put it on her. Then she wanders off to find another coat. Or mitten. Or sock. Or whatever.

P.S. And a thanks to Heather at Women in the Scriptures for getting me thinking about Five Things for Friday in the first place; join in the blog hopping fun.

7 comments:

  1. I loved that letter! It brought back lots of teenage insecurities for me :) and it made me think that maybe I need to write a letter to my jr. high crush. I was pretty rude to him to-- totally out of fear. But I don't think I have the guts. I am impressed you sent it to him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Heather. It was massively embarrassing but kind of cathartic. You should try it! :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Jeanna,
    Your story was brilliant. Like War and Peace, only shorter. Like Hamlet, except with fewer dead people. Like Finnegan’s Wake, but, you know, coherent. More moving than gravity. More touching than a toddler in a toy store. Truly, you have changed my life.
    Sincerely, James Goldberg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad to hear I've changed your life, James. I admit, I am particularly brilliant that way. :) And yes, there is no end to the awesomeness of curry leftovers.

      In other news, I ended up skipping over to your Mormon Midrashim blog (did I just slaughter the spelling?) for a few quality moments, and I was so thrilled and impressed to read someone who wrote so clearly about things that were a frequent frustration to me (about public perception of Mormons, etc.). It really was a joy; too few writers are both intelligent and not...well...insane. So thanks!

      Delete
  3. P.S. Curry is not meant to be made in small batches. It ain't curry unless the family can eat it for at least three days.

    And yet, in nearly three decades of Indian food, I have never had to throw away leftovers..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your blog, it makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete