The
good news is that when two male bettas get in the same container together, they
do not immediately kill each other. The bad news is that in order to correctly put
the divider between the two halves of a betta bowl—so that the fish don’t end
up on the same side—you apparently have to be smarter than the bowl. … And I am
not. The more good news is that I fixed my mistake, and the fish seem to have
survived their several close encounters.
On
the other hand (the bad news), Ella is swimming really weird and spazzy and
sideways these days, and then just lying around near the top of the bowl on his
side. And he looks totally broken—all wonky and lumpy.* I was sure he was
dying. You would be too. So Brice asked the googoracle (i.e., the all-knowing
google) what could be wrong with our poor fish. It turns out (this is the good
news, by the way) he most likely has one of two very common, treatable, and
nonfatal conditions for bettas: swim bladder disorder… or constipation. And the
best first line of defense for our Ella is to isolate him and keep an eye on—you
guessed it—his poop. Now, I don’t know about you, but never in my life have I
had any desire to watch the droppings on the bottom of my fish’s bowl just to
see if it looked like, well, enough.
And yet, here I am, doing just that. Oh, and guess what? Next I get to try to
feed him bits of peas to help him get a little more regular.
Yeah.
You
know what the biggest problem about this is, though? It’s the overwhelming
sense of responsibility I have for all of this. When I thought he was dying, I
kept trying to feel like it wasn’t a big deal. But it was. I had this fish whom I was killing! It’s not like I was
particularly attached to the poor thing (yes, I know, I’m a curmudgeon). It’s
just that I didn’t want to have killed it. I remember how upset I got over a
beautiful bromeliad that we had received for my mother’s funeral—I managed to
kill it within a month, even though supposedly they’re quite hardy. I have felt
guilty over the death of basil plants, for heaven’s sake!** What kind of
craziness is it for me to be involved in pet ownership?! I will tell you: total,
complete craziness.***
We
went to the pet store to get the extra supplies we had run out of for our fish
already (don’t even get me started on the costs of having pets), and the girls
enjoyed looking at all the animals. I found myself with Addra, staring at the
oh-so-adorable tiny little mice. And thanking my lucky stars that I had not
succumbed to the insane desire I’d had on our previous visit to the pet store—the
desire to take home some of those cuddly little critters.
That
way lies madness.
*As a side note
at this point, I should like to tell you that it is remarkably difficult to use
the correct gender pronoun when your male fish is named “Ella.”
**Birds ate
them, by the way. It really wasn’t my fault.
***It’s a whole
different kind of craziness, by the way, for me to be involved in motherhood.
Resist. the. Mice. If you can't come to my house - I have plenty you can have. for free! as many as yo u would like! :>
ReplyDeleteDo the girls include Ella in their prayers? How are the peas working - Maybe you can include a little prune juice in his water?
Prune juice! :) That would be good times.
DeleteLol, I enjoyed your pet woes.
ReplyDeleteLol, I enjoyed your pet woes.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad someone does! :)
DeleteOmg. PEAS! To a fish. YOU!!! Giving them to him...
ReplyDeleteI die!!!!