Some assorted tidbits from the first
week of the new year! Complete with pictures and vids at the end that I didn’t even bother to try to insert in the right places.
Ella and Lumma
We like to celebrate Three Kings Day
(6 January). It’s the celebration of when the wise men visited baby Jesus, and
there are lots of different ways to celebrate, ranging from very spiritual (it’s
called Epiphany in the Catholic Church, and it’s one of their big feast days)
to silly (which is more what we do). We leave out a small shoebox filled with
grass at the foot of the bed. Then, when we wake up in the morning, the wise
men’s camels have eaten the grass and left behind a small gift. This year the
camels left some new pet fish: two bettas named Ella and Lumma (those were the
children’s choices of names; don’t let the names fool you, though—both fish are
boys). Coriel was so excited. She has been wanting a pet forever. Forever.
Forever. And since I am super-allergic to all things furry (and also unwilling
to take care of anything more furry than, say, Brice), we’ve been avoiding
getting anything. But a couple of fish, I can manage (barely). The fish are
beautiful, even I can admit. Ella is a blue-green crowntail betta, which means
he’s got an awesome frilly tail. Lumma is a brick red veiltail male (isn’t that
fun to say!).
Forget the birds and the bees. Let’s talk fish!
The fish also led to one of my first
official sex talks with Coriel. Yes, seriously. We had told her specifically
that we couldn’t have a boy and a girl fish, and she wanted to know why. She
also started telling me she wanted Ella and Lumma to have two baby fish so we
could have more pets. So I explained to her that fish make lots of eggs, not
just two. And I had to explain at least a little about the boy/girl issue. It
was pretty surreal, let me just say. But we made it through, all unscarred, and
totally calm and rational and all sorts of good stuff. Let’s just say hoorah
for that semester-long class I took about sex therapy, huh?*
Thirteen
Coriel was assigned to say the
thirteenth article of faith in Primary on Sunday. We worked on it a little bit
during the week, just a bit every day, and miraculously (because she’s awesome
like this), she got it all memorized in time for church. I was so proud of her!
She did such a great job, and she certainly has an excellent memory.
My daughter is a cat.
I don’t exactly remember the
context, but at dinner the other night, we were talking about something that we
were going to do. Addra didn’t want to do it and expressed her disagreement
like this: “No, meow.” I wish you could have heard it. It was as if it was a
natural part of her conversation, as if inserting a “meow” was just the sort of
thing you do when speaking. She also has a tendency to rub up against my legs
when I’m standing around in the kitchen, curl up in my lap to be petted, and
meow at random moments. Sadly, she does not curl up and fall asleep in small
patches of sunlight.
And now they are both dogs.
Our visit to the pet store, complete
with trying out the doghouses.
I killed a styrofoam bear.
This last week Brice and I and a
friend named Leon all went to an archery range to get a short bow shooting
lesson and shoot some fake animals. It was fun, and I wasn’t even all that bad.
Not good, mind you, just not bad. By the time it was all done, I had killed a
number of targets and, most notably, a large styrofoam bear. Die, bear, die! I
also developed a strange tingling sensation on the outer edge of my left ring
finger and bruises on my left middle and ring fingers. All that
bowstring-pulling-back-ness makes for weird finger feelings. (Five days later,
it still tingles slightly! Hee hee!)
I am a play-doh master.
I made a really great play-doh horse
this week. I mean, seriously impressive. Believe me, it was Art. In fact, don’t
believe me. View images of my sheer awesomeness.
Coriel’s art
Lest you think I’m the only one in the family with mad artistic skills, please observe Coriel’s awesomeness as well. This is a rainbow (obviously) in the sky (witness the clouds). The cat on the ground has a tail that reaches “up into the universe.” Then you can see the blue line, which is the planet earth. And, of course, a space alien.
Goodbye, Prologue
A
new post on the other blog, in which I lament sending my chapters to the
garbage bin.
*I see some of you widening your eyes in surprise. You
remember, right, that I was studying to be a therapist long long ago? A
marriage and family therapist? Yes, it turns out that sex is kind of important
in marriage, so you’ve got to be able to therapize it (no, therapize is not a
real word). It also turns out that, of all the classes I took, this one was
probably one of the best, most practical, and most useful).
| The real reason I don't need any pets. |
| My horse of awesomeness. |
| The horse pulling a wagon Coriel made. And its headless driver (the driver did have a head at one point). |
| Showing a camel to the fish. |
| A bad shot of Ella |
| I just want to hug the space alien. |
| This one is Lumma. |
Thanks for sharing so much, it makes me feel a little less out of touch with your wonderful family. I am trying to get better organized to be able to do a bit more sharing myself, reading this inspires me to want to be able to share the coolness of Ian too. I love reading about the cool stuff going on at your place :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kem! I'm glad to sometimes keep in touch. I would certainly love to see more of Ian, but I know how crazy it is to try to keep up. If I weren't actively trying to practice/do writing, I sure wouldn't be keeping up very well. :)
DeleteSo much fun! I love hearing your kids talk and sing, and I love seeing their sheer adorableness. You are also sheerly awesome, and doing a bang-up job in motherhood! Love you!
ReplyDelete