09 February 2014

Iron Chef: Stay Style


Here I am, making some dinner.

Brice and I were cooking chicken nuggets for dinner this last Friday, when Coriel declared that we were going to have an Iron Chef competition.

Normally when she declares such things, I turn on my practical mommy routine and say, “Some other time, when we have planned it, dear.” But the hour was not too late, and there was no real reason why we shouldn’t, so Brice and I kind of looked at each other and shrugged. And the game was on.

If you have never watched Iron Chef competitions, you really should (you can watch some for free on hulu.com). They’re delightful and over-the-top. Essentially, two chefs have one hour to prepare five dishes, all of them using a secret ingredient that they are about to discover. In the end, they’re judged on taste, originality, and presentation.

So first we needed the secret ingredient, chosen by Coriel. Drum roll, please . . .

Chicken nuggets!

We decided three dishes was enough for our competition, and I think we ended up with about 45 minutes to prepare (we got a couple time extensions; we started with 30).

Coriel got into her job as Chairwoman (the person who runs the contest), reporter (the one who follows the chefs around, asking them questions about their dishes), and the judge (um . . . the one who judges?). She came up and pushed an invisible microphone into our faces and said, “What are you doing here, chef?” or “It looks like you’re making something with nuts.”

In the meantime, Addra was mostly just standing around watching happily. Brice and I were brainstorming and cooking and realizing that we are not quite up to Iron Chef material. But we’re still epic.

So here’s what we ended up with, complete with opinions/judgments (mostly rendered by me and Brice; Coriel only had a few things to say, and Addra was mostly just eating). We hoped that Addra and Coriel would try most of the dishes, but that didn’t quite work out as hoped. Partially because they preferred to simply dismantle the dishes and occasionally eat the components separately. Also for another reason you’ll discover at the end.

Brice’s dishes:
We decided our favorite presentations were his
coconut nuggets and my parmesan plate nuggets.
* Nuggets on a bed of crunch carrot slices (we thought the crunch of the carrots was nice and refreshing, but it would have worked better if it was one thin round slice instead of a bunch of little slivers; Coriel ate the carrots separate)
* Nuggets on a bed of ramen noodles (this was the losing dish for me and Brice, but not surprisingly it was the winning dish for Coriel—although she ate the components separate)
* Nuggets with a garnish of sweetened coconut and chopped macadamia nut (this was one of the two top dishes for me and Brice—it was actually quite tasty, and we added some of the topping to more of the nuggets afterward; the slight sweetness of the coconut was very good with the nuggets)

Originally I'd only made two tasting samples, and then I realized
I should have made them for me and Brice as well as the kiddos. Duh.
So that's why I have different presentations for some.
Jeanna’s dishes:
* Nuggets with a brown sugar and acorn squash puree, topped with a toasted walnut (seriously! I toasted a walnut! I’d never done that before) (this was an okay dish, but something about the spices of the nuggets didn’t go well with the acorn squash; the components were better separate than together)
* Nuggets on a parmesan plate with a garnish of dried cranberry (this was the other winner for me and Brice; we again loved the slight sweetness of the cranberry with the nugget; also, a nice little parmesan crisp is awesome)* (<--that’s a footnote)
* Bacon-wrapped nuggets (too heavy on the bacon for me and Brice; Addra just ate the bacon)

In the end, Coriel barely tried any of these dishes. She said her stomach wasn’t feeling good. At first I partially wondered if this was her excuse to not try weird stuff. But since we’d had stomach flu going around, it was debatable. Well, she proved the truth of her statement about an hour later; nope, her stomach definitely wasn’t feeling good. So it was probably a good thing she hadn’t eaten much.

However, Brice and I had such a fun time being Iron Chefs and trying to be creative with our food. It was a fantastic Friday night (even with the barfy ending), especially given the lack of good dates we’d been having lately. Sure, the kids were there, but it still felt like an awesome date night like we used to have back in the oh-so-distant past. I highly recommend this for a great, fun activity—and, with older kids, have them compete too!**

Okay, now I’m sure you’re dying to know who the winner was, right?


It was Brice, of course! Mmmm . . . the judge loved that ramen.



* In case you were wondering, here’s how you make a parmesan crisp: sprinkle some parmesan in a little circle on a plate—it has to be actually shredded parmesan, not the sprinkly powdered kind—and microwave it for about 30 seconds. So good!
** Another time, we’d probably suggest that Coriel compete with us, or that we do teams, but she definitely wasn’t interested this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment