Yes! I have finally started writing this down and posting it here. Please do not die of shock.
Be ye hereby warned:
There are details in here, people. Potentially gross and/or awkward details.
Because childbirth is awesome . . . and also filled with blood, goo, and lots
of skin. So enter at your own risk.
Be ye hereby also
warned: This is only part I of the exceptionally long, unedited version. If you
want the shorter, less exciting, and significantly less snarky version, wait
for the summary instead.
It began with a pop and a gush of hot fluid. It was a bit
past midnight and I’d been sleeping when my amniotic sac decided it had had
enough. I’d often wondered what water breaking felt like, since I hadn’t even
noticed it happening with either of my other two children’s births. The answer:
it feels like Weird.
My words to Brice: “I think my water just broke.” (Brilliant
observation, yes?)
![]() |
| Probably the cleanest this room has ever been. |
Excitement pulsed through me as I hobbled quickly to the
bathroom, trying not to leave a river in my wake. Here’s what Brice had done by
the time I came back: Sat up. Stared at his phone.
Clearly the rush of adrenaline I felt had not extended to
him.
So we called Susan, our midwife, just to let her know. I was
trying not to squeal in happiness that finally pregnancy would be over! But there
was definitely a little bit of internal celebration going on. Susan said to try
to rest and let her know if I started having contractions. Just the thought of
not having contractions for a while was daunting, but I realized it was a
possibility. So I took a deep breath and tried to sleep.
![]() |
| Ho hum, nothing to see here. Just a woman pretending she's farther along in labor than she really is. |
Let me state for the record that trying to sleep while
you’re also trying to record your contractions—this is not a good formula for
getting much rest.
Five hours later, it was clear that I was in labor but not
by much. (If you want to be all boring and technical about it, I will tell you
that contractions were about a minute long and ten minutes apart.) I was happy
and antsy, crazily nervous that this labor would be so speedy that no one would
show up on time (midwife, birth assistant, or birth photographer). While I was
pretty sure I could do this without any helpers if I had to, I didn’t really
want to. When Addra was born, I had no idea I was as far progressed through
labor as I was—right up until the very contraction that was obviously a push.
(At which point I observed, “That was a push!” I am apparently brilliant and
witty while in labor.) Susan was only at our house for about half an hour
before Addra was born. The birth assistant didn’t arrive until after the fact.*
So this time around I was understandably paranoid that people weren’t going to
make it on time. Far too paranoid, it turns out.
We kept in touch with both Susan and my friend and birth
photographer, Meghan. Time passed. Boredom interlaced with nerves interlaced
with intermittent ouchiness. There should have been a point in here when I
realized that labor was going to be slow. Every time I got up to move around,
contractions slowed. When I sat, they sped up. This is not the usual way of
things. It’s funny that the thing that served me so well in labor with Addra—religiously
timing contractions—became a bit of a problem here. It made me hyperaware when
I should have just taken a deep breath and quit freaking out. Hind sight is
brilliant, yes?
Stay tuned for part II, in which donuts are eaten.
* Please note: This is
not an argument against birthing at home. Had I been planning to go to the
hospital, I still would have stayed home most of the time, since I misjudged
how far along I was. The difference is that I would probably have been on the
road to the hospital when suddenly I realized my body was ready to push!**
** Please also note:
This is not an argument against birthing at the hospital. This post is
completely argument-less. Even though I do think homebirth is awesome.
![]() |
| These kids of ours were excellent at entertaining themselves. |
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment