So now we’ll start to fast forward through some of this day,
hitting just the “good parts.” (And yet still in excruciating, four-part
detail!)
* Around 9 a.m., I realized I had never put together a
playlist of music to listen to while in labor. So I tossed about seven songs
into a group and put it on repeat. Because I had exactly enough brain power to
come up with about seven songs. Actually, I had less brain power than that
because I had actually come up with most of them in my head previously and had
just never done anything about it. These songs were on repeat for many hours of
the day, but I barely noticed them. I was probably the only one. At one point,
Meghan (who I assume was going crazy from having to listen to “A Thousand
Years” or “Little Wonders” for the seven thousandth time) casually asked, “So,
do you just have this playlist on repeat?” Um, yes. Yes, I did. (I think I
turned it off after that, thereby saving my birth team from the edge of madness.)
* I brought in the whole crew around 10 a.m. Susan, our
wonderful midwife. Laurie, the birth assistant. Meghan, friend, photographer, and
bring of donuts. There was the checking of the heartbeat (but the absolutely-not-on-your-life-no-checking
of the dilation). There was some friendly chitchat, and everyone settled in to
my living room to give me some space to sleep or whatever I wanted in my room.
* I was still laughing, still totally relaxed, still capable
of carrying on conversations. If you’ve gone through the Bradley method of
training for birth, you’re thinking, “Oh, Jeanna, you’re not even close to ready
to give birth.” And you’re right. This was early labor, folks. Really early
labor.
![]() |
| See? Still totally in early labor. |
* I spent inordinate amounts of time worrying about the
people in my household. They were all there, waiting on me. Waiting on me. Egad, the nerves. The performance
anxiety. Laurie had a test to study for—I was keeping her from it. (I really
wasn’t; she studied at my house.) Meghan had her very own newborn—I was keeping
her from him. (I really was, but she was terribly gracious about it, and she
left to take care of him a time or two.) In retrospect, the best plan would
have been to send them all home. I could have called them back again when
things picked up. But the paranoia, remember—this baby could pop, right? That’s
what everyone was always saying about third babies. “They just pop out!”
“Shorter and shorter labors!” (And since my second labor was really only active
for about four hours, I felt justifiably concerned.)
We must be ready!
* Brice read to me for a while from some excessively cheesy romance
novel I had on my kindle at the moment. That was embarrassing, largely because
it involved cringing at the plotline. (I think there may have been time travel
involved. Or past lives? Or both? I don’t remember; I think I blocked it.)
![]() |
| Apparently the scarf is called a rebozo. Also, I think I spent about twenty minutes total on that ball. But at least it was fun for the girls to play with! |
* At one point in the meltingly hot afternoon, I tossed a
t-shirt over my tank top and headed outside to walk (waddle) up and down our
street. While I did this . . . not a single contraction. Not one. I came back
from the walk and stated casually, when asked, that I didn’t think the walk had
helped much. I was lying, desperately trying to pretend that things were
further along than they were.
* Laurie suggested some sort of homeopathic hoo-ha to try to
nudge labor along (“See! I knew they were getting impatient,” I thought to
myself), and I said, “Why not?” I have no idea if it worked, but let’s just say
it did. Laurie also suggested, when the contractions finally started picking
up, a neato scarfy-wrappy thingie around my belly. It helped for some
contractions, and I wanted to rip it off and burn it to oblivion for others.
Ah, labor.
Still, over the hours it slowly became obviously that labor
was finally picking up.
Stay tuned for part III, in which things get hairy.
Update: A friend asked me about the purpose of a rebozo. Here's how I saw it: You know how when you're pregnant and you sneeze, you think your whole abdomen is about to explode into fiery shreds of what used to be muscles and ligaments and such? So when you feel a sneeze coming, you bend over and wrap your arms around your belly? To me, the rebozo was kind of like that. However, if you ask the internet, they don't talk about that. Instead it's about positioning and relaxing and whatnot. Sooo . . . I hope you feel enlightened now.
Update: A friend asked me about the purpose of a rebozo. Here's how I saw it: You know how when you're pregnant and you sneeze, you think your whole abdomen is about to explode into fiery shreds of what used to be muscles and ligaments and such? So when you feel a sneeze coming, you bend over and wrap your arms around your belly? To me, the rebozo was kind of like that. However, if you ask the internet, they don't talk about that. Instead it's about positioning and relaxing and whatnot. Sooo . . . I hope you feel enlightened now.
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment