I’ve started avoiding blogging again because I only have
little bits and pieces to tell, not any sort of coherent narrative of really
anything. But that means stuff is piling up, so we’re doing another random pile
o’ junk post. (Also, I started this a week ago, so it’s all old news, but I’m
not going to try to fix any weird verb tenses or time references. Ptui.)
Major Minor Miracle.
Yes, I know “major minor” doesn’t make sense, but here’s the thing: it was a
total miracle to me, and really huge for that particular moment in my life, but
it’s also ridiculously small. Yesterday I was so stressed out over preparing
for our co-op’s class fair that is happening tomorrow. I had a list of
performances on a sheet of paper, and I needed it so I could type up the
programs for the fair, but I couldn’t remember where I’d put it. I’ve been on
high stress about this activity for a while now, and this was the last straw.
As I searched, I prayed—please, please
help me find it. I looked in every spot I could think of that it could have
possibly ended up, and I finally hit the last spot—the car—and it wasn’t there.
I came back inside the house feeling utterly defeated and on
the verge of tears. Again I prayed. Please.
Then my eyes wandered over to our fireplace mantle, where our family yearbooks
are lined up, and there was the paper, sitting with the yearbooks. Exactly
where I had put it and completely forgotten it almost a week ago. I was so
grateful.
Koa the Earthling.
This just barely happened—Koa walked out into the living room with a box on his
head. He told Brice he was an earthling.
The Anthology! My
latest gigantic and insane project is finally finished and printed and
distributed! I’m enormously proud of it. It’s a collection of stories written
by the teens in the writing class I’ve been teaching at co-op this last year.
I’ll be posting more about it on my other blog soon and I’ll link there if I
can remember. But let it just be said that it was a large undertaking and I am
so thrilled to be done (but also thrilled to have done it).
Short Fiction.
Speaking of writing, I have been returning to short fiction a lot lately and
really enjoying it. It’s been so much fun, and I think I’m going to spend more
time in short fiction for the next little while. I have several places I’d like
to submit things to, so we’ll see.
Mormon Lit Blitz.
Also speaking of short fiction, go look here! Pay particular attention to the
entry for June 10th.
Mother’s Day.
Brice is so wonderful. He made Mother’s Day quite lovely, as he always does.
This year he made me a delicious breakfast frittata and said, “Fri-tada!” Complete
with a “tada” gesture. It was pretty great, but it doesn’t translate on paper
very well. Also, he bought me a lock-picking set! Yay! Now I can start learning
a new skill. It comes with a see-through lock, which is pretty cool because
then you can actually see the mechanisms, which I’ve never really understood
before.
I love this about Brice—he is always supportive of my whims
and desires to expand my learning, even when it’s silly.
Compliments.
Okay, this is probably weird, but I keep two compliment files—one is informal,
in my memory, and the other is actually in a file in my email. The email file
is where I put emails or facebook messages or other communications that people
sent me that were really touching and made me feel all glowy and happy. I get
to go back and refer to it occasionally when I’m feeling particularly crappy.
The other file is my internal list of the weirdest/funniest compliments I’ve
ever received.
This last week, I got to add two potential compliments to
the weird file.
1. As part of our class wrap-up, I was asking the teens what
their future plans were with writing. Many mentioned how they felt about the
class (overall positive), but this was my favorite: “It wasn’t as bad as I
thought it would be.”
2. Driving home from church on Mother’s Day, Brice and I
were talking about how our various parenting abilities had improved since the
beginnings. I mentioned that I was much better with small children than I used
to be (though still not very good), and he replied that he thought I was “pretty
decent.” Which was both honest and amusing, given that he said it on the day we’re
supposedly telling all the mothers how incredibly awesome they are. But
actually, “pretty decent” felt like a pretty great compliment. It was real and
completely believable (not like “you’re the best with babies!” which would just
be a lie).
Must update photo!
Holy crumbs, I just looked at the photo that’s on our blog header, and we are
two babies behind. Yikes. I really need to fix that. Someday...
The end. Oh so
many times in the past little while I’ve thought of something to add to a blog
post, but I never do remember them long enough to add. So we’ll just end here.
I think your end was swell :) -- I always enjoy reading your blog, I always get a good laugh or 3 out of it, it brightens my day, so thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteAh, thanks! :)
Delete