Home ownership. Ah, the joys. Every week there's a
new adventure in "this was really not installed correctly the first
time." I blame MacGyver. A whole generation of us grew up thinking there
was no need for appropriate materials. A wad of chewing gum and a
paperclip, and voila! Fixed.
So, for example, our coat
closet has been nearly impossible to shut correctly for months, if not
years. This week, I finally decided to figure out what was going on. It
turns out that the screws that someone had used to replace one of the
bottom hinges were completely wrong. They were really long and threaded
on the end but not toward the head. The closet door, of course, is
mostly hollow with just a half inch or so of solid wood to screw into at
the beginning. So the screws went in with grippiness (a technical term)
but then had nothing to grip with when it actually mattered. I took
those screws out and replaced them with ones that worked.
But this week, we
finally conquered one of the Things That Should Never Have Happened. The
outdoor ceiling fan and light fixture.
Here's the
thing: When you put up a fan outdoors, you're supposed to use an outdoor
fan. Outdoor fans have nice covers that keep out the birds. Outdoor fan
blades are not made out of cardboard that wilts and droops. Outdoor
fans are meant to be used ... outdoors.
Our old
fan/light combo was awful. I mean, the birds liked it (except that dead
one last year that I found just hanging from it, upside down, stuck in
all the nesting materials that were dangling from the motor housing--but
that bird probably just died of old age). At least one new generation
of offspring called that place its home. But we never used it, and it
looked like the plague was coming for it. So we finally bought a new
one, and I began to install it.
Look, I know everyone
makes jokes about IKEA instruction manuals, but I think those IKEA
manuals are amazing. I have never had a problem with them. The
instructions for this Harbor Breeze fan, on the other hand--nope. And
it's not the first ceiling fan/light kit I've put up, so I do have some
basis for comparison. To be honest, actually, I think the thing could
have been constructed to be easier to put together. It was surprisingly
difficult, especially compared to the ones I've done in the past.
This is where we finally get to the miracle portion of the story.
In
the process of removing the old fan, I was supposed to save the screws
that attached to the outlet box so that I could attach the new fan. I
knew this. But I was just not thinking very well, and so I allowed them
both to drop to the ground (of our deck, which has slats that things can
fall between). Then I got down from the ladder and actually threw one
of them away in the bag full of garbage (including tons of nesting
materials) from the old fan. I could not find the other.
And
suddenly I remembered that I was supposed to save them. Argh. I hunted
around the ground, tried to sift through the garbage bag, and couldn't
find either. I had to give up for a while and figure out what to do
(also to feed those pesky children who keep insisting that they need to
eat occasionally!).
Fast forward to hours later when I
explained the problem to Brice and he suggested we use our uber-strong
magnet to try to find them. I found about five or six screws in the
nesting junk, and it looked like one of them might be it. But only one.
We needed two. So we sifted a little more, sorted again, and suddenly
there were two. Seriously, I really don't know how we found the second
one, but we did. It was just there. Miracle!
I went
through the next several steps of installation, did all the wiring, and
got the fan blades ready to attach. The design for this was really bad.
It was extremely difficult to attach the fan blades because of the
positioning of everything. I tried and tried, and I kept dropping the
screws! This time I knew it was bad, so I put a rug under me to catch
things, but it was still going badly. I dropped one that rolled off to
who-knew-where. I got down to look around a bunch, and again, just when
I'd sort of given up, I turned and saw Ammon playing with it. Yay!
Anyway,
making a long story short, it was a little thing, but I really believe
we were blessed with little miracles to help us finish the project. And
now we have a nifty new ceiling fan/light that is meant to be used
outdoors. Hooray!
I am supremely impressed by your diy skills! And hooray for miracles!
ReplyDelete