| Cuter than feral goats. |
But let me add that I’d love it if you wouldn’t say it in
the future. I’ll still love you if you do, but just so you know, you’re going
to send me home bawling my eyes out.
Okay, so what is it that you may or may not have said? You
said, “Sure, this stage of parenting, with littles and all, is hard. But when
they’re older, it just gets different hard (or even harder!). The worries are
different, but at least as bad (or worse).”
Now, I understand you meant to be comforting but also
realistic. You wanted to remind me that I won’t always have to be watching my
baby to make sure he doesn’t fall off of whatever precarious place he’s climbed
onto and crack his head open. You’re reminding me that diapers will one day be
a thing of the past. Someday soon I won’t feel like a Sherpa with baby on one
hip, three bags on the other, holding a toddler’s hand, and climbing up and
down the co-op’s stairs (so many stairs!). I get that’s what you’re trying to
do.
But this is what I hear: “You will never ever get a break. There will never be a
moment when you get to relax and feel like you’ve accomplished something good. You
will never feel good about parenting. Every time you start doing something
well, things will just get worse. You think you’re struggling now? You ain’t seen nothin’ yet.”
This is what it feels like: Imagine a person drowning in the
ocean, seeing the shore from a distance too far to reach. She’s sputtering and
splashing and terrified and hoping she can somehow make it to the sand so she
can just breathe air for a minute or two.
And you tell her, “Sure, that’s nice. But when you get to
shore, there are hordes of hungry man-eating goats all over the beach. They’ll
take longer to kill you than drowning will, and it will probably hurt more
(they have small mouths and teeth, you see). So you might as well enjoy
drowning.”
Not super helpful.
Next time maybe try pointing out the breathtaking vistas on
the beach. Note that there are a few patches of sand that aren’t
feral-goat-infested. Even if you’re lying to me. Even if every square inch is
full of teeth and hooves. Just lie, please. Thanks.
No comments:
Post a Comment