Last Friday J, C, and I went to the SLC arts festival. We had a good time wandering around to different art displays and speculating about what we would buy if we had gobs of money. We participated in a 1-minute writing exercise. J did a set of 6 rhymes. I wrote three or four sentences. The pressure was interesting as a way to get writing. We got some food and were eating it when the sky grew dark and the first few fat, cold raindrops fell. We didn't have an umbrella so we decided to go ahead and go back to the car, which was about a block away. Well, we started walking and the rain heavier and heavier and heavier and heavier. All before we even got across the first street. So we're waiting for the light to change and kind of hiding under a tree. The seconds crawl by. I have C on my back in the mai-tai and she's getting wet just like we are, but she's taking it fairly well. The light finally changes and I take off running (J has okayed this already). So I'm sprinting down the block toward the car and the rain's coming down and C and me are getting totally drenched. There are some people hiding under business awnings who all kind of gasp when they see a crazy-man running through the torrential rain with a toddler on his back. I got to the car and bent down real low to climb in with C still strapped on. I worked on untying the mai-tai so I could give her a snuggle. She had started to whimper and be a bit sad, but I got her out pretty quick. I patted her off and sat her in her carseat. About this time J shows up and climbs in - a nice guy with an umbrella let her walk along with him till she reached the car, but she was also dripping. We put a nice fuzzy blankie on C and within a couple minutes she was giggling happily which was totally amazing. J and I were pretty bedraggled, but our daughter was smiling and laughing at the whole experience. I love the resilience of small ones!
02 July 2009
SLC Arts Festival
Last Friday J, C, and I went to the SLC arts festival. We had a good time wandering around to different art displays and speculating about what we would buy if we had gobs of money. We participated in a 1-minute writing exercise. J did a set of 6 rhymes. I wrote three or four sentences. The pressure was interesting as a way to get writing. We got some food and were eating it when the sky grew dark and the first few fat, cold raindrops fell. We didn't have an umbrella so we decided to go ahead and go back to the car, which was about a block away. Well, we started walking and the rain heavier and heavier and heavier and heavier. All before we even got across the first street. So we're waiting for the light to change and kind of hiding under a tree. The seconds crawl by. I have C on my back in the mai-tai and she's getting wet just like we are, but she's taking it fairly well. The light finally changes and I take off running (J has okayed this already). So I'm sprinting down the block toward the car and the rain's coming down and C and me are getting totally drenched. There are some people hiding under business awnings who all kind of gasp when they see a crazy-man running through the torrential rain with a toddler on his back. I got to the car and bent down real low to climb in with C still strapped on. I worked on untying the mai-tai so I could give her a snuggle. She had started to whimper and be a bit sad, but I got her out pretty quick. I patted her off and sat her in her carseat. About this time J shows up and climbs in - a nice guy with an umbrella let her walk along with him till she reached the car, but she was also dripping. We put a nice fuzzy blankie on C and within a couple minutes she was giggling happily which was totally amazing. J and I were pretty bedraggled, but our daughter was smiling and laughing at the whole experience. I love the resilience of small ones!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment