08 May 2011

Nothing Amazing

Well, imagined audience of thousands (and actual audience of two—thanks, Kem and Brice!), the time has come. Four entries into my resolve to Write a Blog, I find the oomph is waning. The first problem is that I appear to have used up all my clever, brilliant, and witty thoughts in posts 1 through 4. The second problem is that … um … it’s hard? And thus we arrive at post #5. Its sole purpose: sheer existence, being at least some sort of post so that I actually keep on Writing. In this post you shall be regaled with awe-inspiring tales of … (drum roll, please) … not much.*

So, let’s see. Today was Mother’s Day. I did not receive a pansy; I received a petunia. I did not know if they are edible, so I chose not to find out. I also received some delicious chocolate from my loving husband. Yum. We made a fantastic breakfast together: scrambled eggs with oodles of cheese, bacon, crepes, melon, juice, and potato cakes. Also yum.

As I type this entry, Coriel is stringing twine and masking tape around our house. Her latest favorite activities are making giant messes (see above), playing with her figurines, and reading books together. Unfortunately, another favorite activity lately seems to be having meltdowns whenever we go somewhere, unless it’s Chuck E. Cheese or the bouncy place. *Sigh.* **

Also as I type, Addra is in my lap, both sleeping and eating. I am continually jealous of that ability.

Brice is still wonderful in nearly every way. He is such a fun dad. He makes me laugh on a daily basis. And have I mentioned that he provides chocolate?

With the advent of mulch, our garden is beginning to look vaguely like it was planned instead of simply plopped. If we can keep the friendly bunnies away and my black thumb in check, we will enjoy a beautiful harvest.

All in all, despite occasional craziness (both situational and personal), life is good. I am reminded of a certain period during ninth grade. Carrying a sweet-smelling lilac, I would bounce up to one of my friends, say, “Life is glorious! Here, smell!” and shove the flowers in his/her face. Not the most endearing behavior. Well, these days I wouldn’t be nearly as obnoxious about it (although we do have some lilac growing in our backyard)—and frankly, life feels much, much harder than it used to be—but when I really look around, it’s still true. Life is pretty glorious.

So today’s post may not be anything amazing, but I’m writing it, so hooray.

*Editorial self-observation: You may have noticed my unreasoning adoration for parentheses and ellipses (and, for that matter, footnotes). I cannot help myself—are they not lovely?

**The asterisks surrounding the word “Sigh” were not indicative of footnotes.


2 comments:

  1. Whenever you don't have anything to write (I doubt that will EVER happen to you) just post pictures. We will forgive you. I am looking forward to being one of your readers. I also believe that lilacs obliterate gloom and I think having them in your backyard is a VERY good sign. Happy Mother's Day. You sound happy and look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not having read your previous posts yet, it doesn't seem to me that you have run out of clever, brilliant and witty thoughts. Can't see it ever happening. I love reading your thoughts, and hearing your stories. Maybe it will inspire me to be more diligent in my blogging adventure... sigh... :-)

    ReplyDelete