15 October 2012

In Other News...



Today I got in my first car accident when I was driving! But it really barely counts, for which I am grateful. A guy pulled out of a parking spot into my car, probably going about three miles per hour. I’ve hit speed bumps that jarred us more than this accident. There was this weird moment just before he hit us where I looked over and saw that the car was coming and I realized there was nothing I could do about it except cringe slightly. It was kind of surreal—that whole slow motion, time stopping business. Exciting! And can I also say I’m grateful it wasn’t my fault? Honestly, I didn’t suddenly turn on our car’s cloaking device, I didn’t throw an invisibility cloak over it. I certainly didn’t do that weird thing the ginormous S.H.I.E.L.D. blimp does where they change the frequency of something-or-other-whatnot-blah blah blah. The point is, I was fully visible and driving quite acceptably. So ha! Take that, random dude.

Also, may I take this opportunity to mention that as a driver I have improved dramatically. I totally didn’t freak out today when the guy hit my car. And I’ve been driving freeways a lot more. And I also didn’t freak out a few weeks ago when I accidentally took the wrong exit and went the wrong direction about five times in a row. And I only freaked out a little bit when a semi-truck nearly merged into me (on two separate occasions, no less! I swear, people, I am not invisible). This is so weird to me. On the one hand, it feels so Hooray! victory!-ish to be getting over the whole driving terror. (Though, don’t get me wrong, there’s still plenty left to go around.) 

On the other hand, it has seemed like such a big part of me for so long that it’s strange to think of letting go of it. It makes me think about what kinds of bad stuff we hang onto because we wouldn’t know who we were without it. (Apologies for suddenly waxing philosophical. I would tell you it won’t happen again… but it will.)

Okay, enough about driving.

In other news, a few days ago I posted on my other blog. I’m trying to remember to mention that here when I post there, but I’m obviously not always on top of it.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about your car accident, but I'm glad it was minor. I can't tell you how much I love reading your blog. The words just roll off my tongue and the sentences flow so nicely....you are an amazing writer. I know I say that all the time, but I can't help myself because it's true! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! You're so great, and I feel all warm and fuzzy!

      Delete