1. Part of couple's scripture study was this great video about journal keeping. That made me want to actually record part of my life. So hooray! That means a blog post, no?
2. New job. Yay! Boring training, meh (at least I'm getting paid). First week on the job and I got called in last Saturday. Fortunately, it wasn't a full day (5 hours). And it won't be a regular thing, also good.
3. I hate not having a mouse. Track-pad mice make my right index finger hurt (more so after I got a bone chip playing basketball.) Look at me graduating to old man with aches and pains. It's almost like I'm going to grow up some day.
4. Speaking of which, I realized recently why I always felt more comfortable at the kids table than at the adults table while I was growing up. Mild social blindness (a la asperge'rs, but much milder). I was watching some kids interact and they don't mind when you miss social cues or don't know their names. One good example - I was always terrified as a Deacon that I would have to pass the sacrament to the Bishopric. Because you're supposed to give the sacrament first to whoever is presiding at the meeting. What if I couldn't tell (or remember) which suited older man was the Bishop? What if a member of the stake presidency was there? I would NOT get that one right. So I always tried to get the other assignments. Over time I've come a long way. Now I'm willing to ask people their name several times (most of the time) since I just don't remember people well. I've learned how to interact with people - thanks missionary service! Actually, now that's one of my strengths, at least as far as making small talk goes. So there you go - weak things become strong after all.
Some ways to defeat total a-social-ness:
1. Learn the mannerisms that humans use when interacting with each other and mimic them. I can do this (most of the time).
2. Side benefit of this is that I sometimes can even give good advice about how to deal with life (knowing social rules objectively lets you apply them to yourself OR others). Although in my case this means that I sometimes drive people crazy by just asking questions forever up front. After all, I have to work my way down the decision tree all the way down to the end leaf node. Then I'll have the answer! The advice at higher branches just isn't as good. : )
3. Get yourself some human capital. After muchos years, I'm starting to get good at this. When I was in middle/high school, I looked around and said "I am a total dweeb. I want to be cool. I do not know how to be cool. Sadness". I thought maybe I could be cool by liking cool music. Someone said that "Rush" was cool and I thought they were good, so I bought some of their albums. Was I cool? No, Rush had already ceased to be cool by then (if it ever really was). Eventually I found music I liked because I liked it, not because other people said I should. Now I feel cool with my indie rock and my alt Latino and my EDM, even if other people don't like them. Ditto for sports. Mud runs, frisbee, rock climbing. I like them. They are awesome. Now I can smile when honestly can not name one single professional athlete currently playing (well I might get one or two, but they might have stopped playing last season or gotten injured and I would have no idea). Because I've got my own thing. Now when I look around I can say "Hey, I'm cool! Hooray"
5. Grr, now it's too late to post any of the crazy-cute things my girls have been doing or talk about how amazing my wife is. She's beautiful and amazing and writer-y and declutter-y and just all around fancy-good. I wish I had time to say some nice things about her.
6. Rocksmith = very good. More about this later.
7. Did I mention I love my family? They are nice and give great hugs and amazing smiles. What a faboo blessing. Win!
I should also give credit to my dear wife, who has been instrumental in helping me grow and develop. Also, human capital means developing your talents, getting skills or knowledge or building your capacity in some way
ReplyDeleteBrice I quite like this post from you! Plus, I think you are cool and am glad you are you and have your own cool talents and hobbies - that's what makes you so fun! And you and Jeanna are just an awesome fun couple and we love you. The end.
ReplyDeleteThanks! You are a tremendous trio (duo and a mini?) and we're so grateful to have you as friends. When can you come over and have dinner or play? Give us a call : )
Delete