Note: Even though my
crazy driving phobia rears its ugly head here again, what this post is really
about is gratitude and blessings. Feel free to not comment on my personal baggage.
About a month ago, when I stopped at an intersection on my
way to a church activity, the brakes gave off the most dreadful grinding,
screeching sound. It had been a tiring day, and since driving still terrifies
me on a fairly regular basis, I almost turned around and drove (carefully)
right back home. Instead I just pulled over, freaked out a little (a lot), and
tested the brakes in the parking lot for a few minutes before eventually
driving on. At the activity that night, I mentioned the experience and a friend
suggested, from experience, that it was the brake pads. The next day we took
the car to the mechanic, and we got ourselves some new brake pads.
Fast forward to a week ago. I’d just visited a friend’s yard
sale and was on my way home (down Ritchie Highway) with another friend following
behind me, lugging a chair for me in her van.
The roads weren’t particularly busy that morning, but
Ritchie is a 45-mph, multilane road, and I was going along briskly when, far in
front of me (but not far enough for this to be a good idea), a fellow started
across the road from the right lane. I was in the far left lane, so I figured
that by the time he got to my lane he would speed up to cross ahead of me or
stop in the lane before mine so I could pass. Either way was kind of a lousy
idea for him, but whatever.
I kept watching him for signs of hesitation or even any
recognition that I was coming toward him. This all, of course, happened very
quickly (as things tend to at car speeds), and in the meantime I was slowing
down just a bit to see what he would do. It had not yet entered my mind that he
would completely ignore the car hurtling toward him—not even turn his head to
“look both ways” a single time before continuing to mosey into my lane of
traffic.
When he did so, I panicked. I started braking hard and fast.
Really, really hard and fast. I screamed. I didn’t honk, which was unfortunate
(but all my brain could process was to stop the car). I didn’t swerve, which I
probably could have done (but again, the brain processing thing). I just
screamed and braked.
You know those scenes you see in the movies where the car
hits a pedestrian, and the body rolls up the windshield and bounces over the
car? This is the scene that was playing through my mind in those brief moments.
I was absolutely certain I was going to hit this man. Did I mention I used to
have nightmares about driving? A lot. I still do, occasionally, but they don’t
usually have quite the same punch they used to. Anyway, this would have been
one of those nightmares, only without the lovely waking up part.
Guess how close I got to hitting him?
Well, the car completely stopped (thank you, Elissa, for not
following me very closely in your van—I’m glad you didn’t crash into me when I
stopped). The man still had not turned to look in my direction, not once. But
he finally did turn to look at me when he
walked into the corner of my bumper.
He had gone all the way across the lane in front of me, but
then he veered just enough toward me to tap into the far left side of the car,
after I had barely stopped. And you know how sometimes when you bump into a
table accidentally, you sort of turn toward it and say “Oops” or something
equally brilliant?* That’s when this man I’d almost run down turned and saw me
for the first time, with something like surprise in his eyes.
After a moment in which we looked at each other and perhaps pondered
our own mortality, he moved on and I drove away.
I am so grateful for new brake pads. I’m grateful that I was
the one driving the car when the original grinding sound occurred. Brice knows
my driving issues, and so I think he was very quick to allay my worries and go
to the mechanic. I don’t know how long the brake pads still would have worked
reasonably well, or how long we would have put off the trip to the mechanic,
but I know they wouldn’t have worked well enough for this. I also doubt the
brakes on the other car would have been good enough; for this moment, we needed
new brake pads. I am certain that God was protecting me from an event that
would have utterly shattered me (not to mention—I add with a bit of morbid
levity—him). I’m grateful Elissa was driving far behind me. I’m grateful that
despite my frozen brain and unimpressive panicked reactions, I still was
blessed to do just enough to avoid hitting him.
The safety of this moment was nothing less than a miracle,
and I am grateful.
| Joe Junior, who (incidentally) looks nothing like the pedestrian. |
*In a comical turn of
events, I was reminded of the moment in While You Were Sleeping when Joe Junior bumps into a tree branch
with his New Year’s party hat and apologizes to the tree. I watch too many
movies.
Oh my! I wonder if that guy was wui (walking under the influence). I had a similarly scary car experience in which angels protected me from killing myself and my boys. So grateful for divine intervention that protected you, your friend, and inattentive man!
ReplyDeleteI wondered the same thing about the guy.
DeleteI think I remember you wrote about your car experience on your blog? It sounds familiar. I'm so glad you guys were safe too. Whew, good blessings.
That was a crazy event and I'm super grateful, as well, that everything conspired for you NOT to hit him!
ReplyDeleteMe too!
Delete