Further note: If you are inclined to be judgey about the
decision to forgo pain meds, feel free to skip part III. Here is where I tell
you how much it hurt and also that I am not a warrior about pain. But I am not
really interested in being an example you can point to and say, “See! Not
getting an epidural is crazy!” Plus, despite the pain, I would still choose
this again.
Further further note: You may have noticed that Brice doesn’t
feature prominently in this narrative. This is because, for the most part,
Brice was just doing what he does best: quietly going about doing good. He was
just there, you know, present with
me, without getting in the way.* You can tell from the pictures how much he was
a part of labor, but there are very few specific things I can point to and say,
“Brice did this.” Mostly he just was.
Which is exactly what I needed.
Finally, around 4 p.m., things went from sunny to doomy.
Ahem, I mean that labor picked up. By which I really mean that I started whimpering
and crying and saying, “No, no, no” repeatedly and despairingly. I mean really.
I have distance from the whole experience now, which is why I can look at it
and laugh, but in those moments it felt like my whole soul was saying, “No.” It
felt like my whole world had narrowed down to just one unending contraction. It
felt like this would never stop.
You want to know how desperate I was? When Susan suggested
that she could check and see if I had a cervical lip in the way of pushing, I
said okay. So here’s a bit of information
about me: I do not—DO NOT—like cervical checks. When I’m asked what was the worst
part of labor with Coriel, I can say without a nanosecond of hesitation,
“Cervical checks.” (And that’s saying something, because labor with Coriel was
pretty darn hard.) I didn’t get a single check with Addra, and that was bliss.
![]() |
| I am definitely not feeling good. |
After I said okay, I also said, “But if you check and I’m
only dilated to, like, a six, just lie to me.”
Here’s what she said after she checked: “Well, you’re not
quite ready to push yet.” (I asked her later, in a postpartum checkup; she said
I was dilated to about seven.)
You’re probably wondering about now why I would choose to do
all of this stuff when there are awesome things like epidurals in the world.
Well, that’s a complicated question with many answers. The short one: I think
it’s better for me and for the baby.** Also, pain isn’t the end of the world,
not even bad bad pain.
![]() |
Speaking of pain, though, I never hopped in the shower!
Ridiculous me. Showering was the epic relief that made Addra’s birth pretty
much a cakewalk. (Which is only slightly overstating the case.) I remember that
Laurie suggested it once or twice (her recollection: “I kept telling you to get
in the shower”). And I remember that all I could think was how hard it would be to get in the shower.
And how hard it would be to get back
out. All that stepping over bathtub ledges as if they were the Great Wall of
China or something. You can’t be asking me to do that sort of crazy hurdling
when I’m in labor! And for what? Any
minute now, I would feel the need to push. So instead I dithered around,
forgetting that contractions do stop occasionally (no, not really in this case;
I swear I was in transition—unending waves of contractions—for endless hours).
Forgetting that the feeling of water beating down on my back might be lovely.
That if I couldn’t pick my leg up to get over the ledge, someone would do it
for me (because labor isn’t really weird enough without other people picking up
your body parts for you). So, um, no shower.
And really, while I was in it, that time did seem to last
forever—wave upon wave of contraction, with not even a long enough break in
between to properly use the bathroom. (Come on, I would say, sitting on the
toilet. Really? You couldn’t just wait for thirty seconds?) Now, outside of
those moments, I realize it was only about three hours, maybe four at the
outside, of really intense labor. But such is the nature of reality—it isn’t
always helpful when you’re in it.
![]() |
| Scootching off the pillow again. |
Eventually I was in sheer misery mode, whimpering “no” in a
pathetic voice over and over again (no strong, Amazonian roars for me!), and I
was lying in my bed. I repeat: I was
lying in my bed. On my back! The horror! I used to see the occasional birth
photos of other women lying on their backs straining and pushing, and I would
think sanctimoniously, “Well, if you’d just get off your back, everything would
be much easier. I had Addra kneeling beside my bed, and it was awesome. I would
never give birth lying on my back.”
Ha! As I lay on the bed, everyone kept trying to prop me up with pillows or
suggest different positions. I would pretend I didn’t hear them and then slowly
scootch myself sideways off the pillows until I was sort of leaning sideways
but definitely on my back. It was the only thing that was even vaguely
comfortable (emphasis on “vaguely”). So much for the virtues of gravity in
labor, that’s all I have to say.
Stay tuned for part IV, in which things get even more
hairy.
* Well, except for one
or two contractions where he misjudged that I needed a massage or a hand on my
abdomen when what I really wanted was not to be touched—and also to rip his
head off and throw it out the window. But hey, no one’s perfect, not even Brice.
** Again, please
remember I’m not judging you or anyone else for doing something different. NO
JUDGEY!
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
%2B-%2BCropped.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment