15 February 2016

That One Time We Cruised, part 2: The Food



Well, you know that the main thing about going on a cruise is the food, right? And it’s true. At first, I wasn’t overly impressed. Our first lunch on board was right near the end of the lunch time, and things were really crowded (we sat outside directly in the blistering sun because we couldn’t find another spot), and they were starting to put the food away. So again, that first day did not make a great impression.

However.

The rest of the trip was fantastic when it came to food. In the first place, most of it was delicious. In the second place, if it wasn’t yummy, you could just order something else! Here are some indications of my enjoyment of the food:

1. When I reviewed the notes I’d written for the blog, I mentioned the food four different times.

2. I even tried their fried eggs at breakfast one morning. (I have never really liked eggs, and I especially dislike fried eggs. But they were just sitting there calling to me. Also, the whites did not have the texture of snot. So, win!) I also tried poached eggs!

3. I had fried eggs again. Voluntarily. I even started making myself fried eggs when I got home! (Tragically, I have not managed to make them without the snot texture.)

4. A couple months later, at my first prenatal appointment, Susan (my midwife) looked at my weight gain to that point and said, “So, do you think is all from the pregnancy?” And I totally blamed at least five pounds on the cruise.

5. There was sushi a couple of times. And since I had learned from research that the real problem with sushi in pregnancy is not the sushi itself but simply the possibility of food poisoning,* I ate some. And felt just a little bit naughty. But also really, really happy.
This was my favorite of the restaurants, though
you really can't tell how pretty it was.

The ambience in the restaurants was lovely. Seriously, these are some fancy restaurants. My favorite (you eat at a different one each night) was made to look like a garden, and the lighting changed as the night got later, so it was like the sun was setting. The room was decorated in lovely dusty pink and sort of a pale sage green. Really pretty. It was fun eating someplace so fancy.

There was this steak one night that I sort of wanted to eat until I died. Mostly because of the sauce. Also, I tried black truffle pasta—because why not? (It wasn’t that epic, but it was still tasty.) And Brice and I both tried escargot (smothered in butter, so it was acceptable—but not something I’d regularly eat). Those were some of the exciting highlights, but really everything was just tasty.

Brice and I discussed why the food was so especially great, and we came up with a couple reasons. The main reason, of course, was just that it was good. But the backup reason—which Brice pointed out—was that it was good, but without a price tag attached. So instead of looking at the menu, then looking at the prices, then saying, “Too rich for my blood,” we just ate. Whatever looked good. Regardless of price. It makes a shocking difference. It makes me think that in the future, when we take vacations, we should make it a point to go out one time to a really swanky restaurant, order something amazing, and just count it as a cost of the vacation.

You may be wondering about what the kids ate. Well, I’m sorry to report that they ate your usual run-of-the-mill kids’ food. We tried to get them to try a few new things here and there, but honestly—vacation is not the time to have arguments over trying that new weird-looking vegetable or that strange brown sauce. So we didn’t.

* And also, sushi food poisoning in pregnancy isn’t worse than out of pregnancy—except that everything is worse in pregnancy just generally. Unlike food poisoning like listeria, which is actually actively worse in pregnancy. So, sushi from a reputable, high quality place: probably not a problem. Sushi from the two-day-old counter at Food Lion: probably a problem. This digression brought to you by Science!

No comments:

Post a Comment