| No pictures from the actual beach because that would have necessitated bringing a camera to the beach. Crazy talk. |
I read in one of John Gottman’s* books that every couple has
about seven “irreconcilable differences”—things that they will just never agree
about so they have to learn how to deal with that. I have discovered at least
two of ours: 1. Brice’s enjoyment of Radiohead. 2. The one that matters to this
blog post: His adoration for the beach.
Happily, though we will never agree on the topic of
Radiohead “music” being music, we have adapted quite nicely to these particular
differences.** When it comes to beach time, I happily follow along after him,
and as long as I am not forced to try to surf or swim through the ocean much,
I’m pretty content. (Although I do always manage to get awkwardly placed
sunburns.) Plus, he takes me to a lake now and again so I can row in a rowboat—which
is my version of watery bliss—so it evens out.
On the day that we docked in Nassau, we gamely gathered our
stuffed, tossed on our swimsuits, and headed off to find a beach for a little
while. It was scorchingly hot. The kind of hot where you’re not sure if all
that water pouring off you is sweat or if your body is just melting. When we
finally found a nice little patch of beach, we were all very happy to get into
the water. It was lovely and fun, and the girls were ecstatic to be playing in
the ocean, finally getting to test their swim lessons against something a
little less tame than an indoor pool. Brice, of course, was in heaven. He went
up to a big concrete overlook where a number of slightly drunken individuals
were taking turns egging one another into jumping off, and he enthusiastically
cannonballed down several times.***
After a while, though, we headed back to the ship (melting
some more along the way). We knew there was a fancy beach in store for us the
next day.
And fancy it was! Castaway Cay’s beaches were the kind of
perfect that, in this case, had to have been manmade. As in, they carted in
tons of perfect, soft, white sand to make these lovely beaches. At least I
assume so. There were no shells, no pebbles, nothing but tiny grains of sand.
Pretty sure that’s not natural, even in the awesomest natural beaches on earth.
But that wasn’t a complaint, merely an observation. The
beach was absolutely beautiful, and the water was calm enough to hang out and
have fun splashing around in with small children. We built some sand “castles”
(AKA piles of lump sandy), dug some holes (a perennial beach favorite), and
relaxed both in and out of the water. It’s possible that some of us even peed
in that lovely cool water because the bathrooms were too far away (too much
information?).
I also got to have a fantastic extra experience that Brice
bought me as a surprise—hanging out with the stingrays! Ever since watching a
giant manta ray swim up against the glass at an aquarium in New Zealand,
flapping its wings (wings? what are they called?) so smoothly, I’ve been pretty
much enchanted with rays. They’re like the flying carpets of the ocean! How can
I not love them? So Brice took all the kids while I got to go feed the
stingrays and snorkel around them. It was fantastic.**** So what they do is
there’s this floating platform thing with an up and down ramp attached. The
stingrays are trained to swim up the ramp and around this semicircle platform
to gather food, then swim back down.
While they’re on the platform, all of us who are gathered
around it get the chance to try to feed them. Which essentially consists of
holding a piece of weird food stuff (like really thick, gross-looking green
jello or a piece of slimy fish) sticking up between two fingers with your hand
flat on the platform. Then they come along and vacuum it out of your fingers.
Seriously—it was like having your hand attacked by a rather bristly animated
vacuum. Pretty cool, if you think about it—rays are both carpets and vacuums! I loved it. And then I got
to snorkel around for a while, watching the rays swim just beneath me. Lots of
them. Ah, it was lovely.
And that, my friends, was the beach. Stay tuned for the
Diaper Dash, the Kennedy Space Center, and the wrapup!
* Marriage therapist
extraordinaire, studied extensively in grad school.
** Sing praises for
the invention of earphones! Also, fyi, I realize that these are ridiculous “irreconcilable
differences.”
*** Don’t worry; this
was the express purpose of the overlook, so the water was indeed deep enough
and such. Just because the people urging one another to jump were drunk doesn’t
mean it wasn’t safe. In this case.
**** Way better than
the towel-folding, in case you were remembering that I said the towel class was
my favorite activity. I only meant it was my favorite activity on the boat.
No comments:
Post a Comment