20 February 2016

That One Time We Cruised, part 5: The Diaper Dash



A big event on the cruise is the Jack-Jack Diaper Dash. Very important. Very exciting. If your child is crawling but not yet walking, you can enter him/her into this exciting race. Okay, I know I already said towel-folding was my favorite onboard activity, but I lied. Actually, thinking about it, it’s hard to choose. Towel-folding was fun just for me. The Diaper Dash was fun because I got to watch Koa be adorable. A cookie-baking activity was fun because I got to do it with Coriel. Food was fun because it was, well, food. Et cetera. So, you know, they were all good.

Anyway, back to the Diaper Dash. In Koa’s racing heat, there were three kids. Two of them were barely crawlers, and Koa was the other, so I thought for sure he would win (oh how the mighty are fallen). Brice was with Koa at the starting line, and I was like the carrot on a stick at the finish, trying to entice him to come to me. It started off with a little confusion. Poor babies had no idea what to do with all these strange adults around them cheering and making noise. Finally, though, Koa took a few crawling steps toward me . . . and the crowd went wild! So wild, in fact, that Koa was startled into sitting back on his butt, looking around to see what all the fuss was about.

And that’s about as far as he got. I couldn’t convince him that he wanted to come any farther. Brice and I should have traded places (and I think we eventually did? I can’t remember), but one way or another, it just didn’t work out. In fact, none of the babies really wanted to crawl toward the finish. What should have taken about a minute probably took five or so. No one in our heat even crossed the line. (In the next heat, one baby did, and the first place award was a bib.)

Let me just say, that Diaper Dash was good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment