07 March 2016

The Squinty-Eyed Smile and the Duck Face



It struck me a few days ago that something was changing in Koa’s life and I was missing it. For a long time now, when Koa was acting especially happy—usually sitting at the kitchen table with the rest of us (and eating food!)—he would break into this amazing smile. His entire face would scrunch up, he’d raise his head slightly, and his eyes would close to slits as he grinned. We call it the squinty-eyed smile. Every time he smiles this way, there is no other option but to smile back and usually to laugh. It is adorable beyond words.

But, as with many such things, it is nearly impossible to catch on camera. And as with many such things, it has begun to pass.

He is still often ridiculously happy—seriously, he’s such a happy, charming toddler—but the squinty-eyed smile doesn’t make its appearance nearly as often. And on Sunday, as I was doing something else, I realized that someday, a year from now, five years from now, I may not remember it at all. This little part of his growing up that has been such a delight to all of us could be gone completely.

This is close to the right smile, but it's not quite big enough.
Also note the boots and footie pajamas. Style, baby. Style.
Now, more often than not, he wanders around the house with his lips sticking out in this adorable duck face. It’s like he’s trying to smooch the whole world. At some point, this phase will pass too (at least I hope so; that would make for a seriously awkward teenager!). And if I don’t document it, I’ll forget, just as I have certainly forgotten all sorts of other things with all three of the children. But at least I can occasionally recall some highlights. For example:

* This kid loves his shoes, especially his boots. He brings them to me to put on all the time. Sometimes it’s because he wants to go outside, but sometimes it’s just because he wants them on. He also loves to try on everyone else’s shoes, but his own are his favorite.

* He also loves footie pajamas. Not as much now as a few months ago. Back then, when I would get out a set of footie pajamas he would smile and rush to me to get them on. When I set them out flat on the ground, he would lie on top of them to make it easier for me to put them on. (Since writing this all last week, however, he seems to be on a clothing strike, and he especially hates having footie pajamas put on. See? Things pass with amazing swiftness.)

* So, yes, he does spend a large majority of his time wearing footie pajamas with boots on over them. It’s quite a fashion statement.

This is also close, but still not quite there. Also, blurry.
* The girls have decided that his favorite color is pink. This is partially because Coriel doesn’t like pink at all right now, so when we get out dishes, she always makes sure someone else gets the pink ones—so usually it’s Koa. He doesn’t object.

* He doesn’t seem to enjoy cars and trucks and trains any more or less than our other kids. They’re fun because they roll, but he also loves playing with other stuff just as much. He does, however, really like balls. He has definitely learned to throw them a little earlier/better than Coriel or Addra did.

Pandy! And real clothing!
* He also really loves stuffed animals. His favorite is Pandy, a stuffed panda that Aunt Dawn got him for Christmas. It’s about half the size of him and just really good for snuggling. We also have a couple other bears he loves to snuggle.

* If Brice is home, he always wants Brice. If Brice isn’t home, and I have done something mean (like refusing to feed him more gummi bears or making him take a nap), he will run for Coriel. Coriel gives him a hug and snuggles him, she strokes his back, and he leans his head on her shoulder. He really loves that girl, and she is a wonderful big sister to him.

Just because he's adorable.
Those are some of the lovely things about Koa these days. He is such a source of fun and love in our lives. He really is a delight. In fact, not to brag or anything, but all of our kids are pretty stinking awesome.




Now I just wish I could get a picture of that smile!

1 comment: