18 October 2016

Sleeping Like Tree Trunks

The other morning, Coriel and I were sitting on the couch talking about how we’d slept. I asked her if she had slept like a log, which she found confusing. So of course I had to explain the idiom, along with “slept like a baby,” which we both agreed was not an appropriate metaphor for deep, restful sleep. In fact, according to her, both of these idioms were weird. After all, logs don’t sleep. 

“How do you know?” I said. “Maybe they’re always asleep. Maybe you’ve never seen a log that’s awake. Maybe they dance around when they’re awake.”

We then went on to discuss tree trunks. I was certain that they are also always asleep.

“No. Tree trunks are awake,” she declared. “You’ve never seen a tree trunk that’s asleep.”

“How do you know?”

“When trees are asleep, they snore really loudly, like a police siren and a car crash put together.”

And now you know.

1 comment:

  1. lol :) -- reminded me of stick man -- apropos and worth checking out this Christmas. (main character is a stick who pretends to be non-sentient whenever people are around)

    ReplyDelete