01 January 2017

Conducting an Experiment

It turns out that I have once again been in a blogging funk. But at the same time, I frequently share random things that happen in our family and silly stuff ... on Facebook. Unfortunately, most of my siblings aren't on Facebook. This is a problem, since they are some of the main people I want to update about our life.

At the same time, I've been noticing some things I'm not happy about in myself. I've been getting too concerned about how many "likes" I get on my posts in Facebook. I check far too often just to see if anyone liked what I wrote. It is not where my focus should be. It has become a method of avoiding other things in life.

Previously I had thought, "This is just one tiny thing. I can't put this in a blog post because it's tiny and pointless and blah blah blah." Blog posts must be long and thoughtful and well edited. So I haven't been writing, just telling myself I'll get to it later ... in that mysterious place when I suddenly "have time." Which never comes.

All of which brings me to my experiment. It may not work at all. It may not be a solution that helps me or that improves communication with the people that I love. But I'm going to try it. When I would normally write a post on Facebook, I'm going to put it here instead. Even when it's dorky or short or whatever. I'll still post some things on Facebook, but at least for a little while, most of the silly family stuff is going on this blog. I'll see how it goes.

I may or may not post links to these blog posts on Facebook. I don't know. So if you want updates from me, you should probably follow this blog via email or something. But I won't be offended if you don't. And if you do, I'd love to have you comment occasionally! One of the things I miss on Facebook is actual conversation about things. It's too easy to just push the "like" button and move on.

Oh, and one last thing: I'm doing this pretty much exclusively in my phone. So no more fancy formatting attempts. No smart quotes (which you must know is simply torturing me!). And probably a lot of terrible editing. Which, again, is going to cause me more suffering than it causes you.

And that's about it! I make no guarantees that it will work out at all. That's life!

3 comments:

  1. I always love to read your writings, musings, thoughts and crazy family moments!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phones should have smart quotes too.

    ReplyDelete