It was at the science center that I first learned the meaning of the word “synesthesia.”*
Here I first saw this nifty optical illusion with spinning spirals, and it was definitely funky (I experienced it while looking at my brother’s face. Whoa.). Here’s a link so you can do it online (although it’s better to have a huge one right in front of you in real life):
http://dogfeathers.com/java/spirals.html
There’s also a kids’ room with things like a green screen, a skeleton and some x-rays, a water play area, and a Baltimore-themed section complete with a submarine, “fish” you can catch, and assorted sailing gear.
On our latest trip, Coriel particularly enjoyed being a sailor. She and a group of other children bounced around yelling things like, “Ahoy!” and “Watch out—danger!” Coriel was particularly insistent that the ship was on fire and she was going to save everyone.
Good times, baby. Good times.
*This is when one sensory experience causes a different sense to fire. For example, apparently the most common is people who experience numbers and letters as inherently having certain colors. One of the most rare is people who hear certain sounds or words and can actually taste them. Weird stuff, huh?
| Hangin' with the underwater critters |
| Ahoy there, matey! (Har har har.) |
| The aftermath, cleaning up the spilled guts. |
Addra playing the laser harp (pardon the length of the clip; I am not yet technologically literate enough to be able to edit my vids)
The Science Center is on Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, so we often go out and eat afterward. Brice is so in love with Rita's custard, I think she may secretly be his second wife. |
No comments:
Post a Comment