29 August 2011

Aunty Jeanna Reviews Some Stuff

Since, as we all know, I have an opinion about pretty much everything (correction: I have an opinion about pretty much everything that is frivolous; I refrain from opinions on…say…politics and philosophy), it’s about time for me to share a few. These are some recent items that I couldn’t just keep to myself.

The IKEA bunkbed (http://tinyurl.com/2pclt4). We bought this when we moved to Maryland so that the toddler could have a big girl bed. And it’s awesome. It’s reversible: you can use it as just a single bed or flip it to use as bunkbeds. We’ve used it both ways, although for now the area under her bed is for playing. Eventually, we’ll move the baby in there to sleep on the bottom. I think they will love being together. This is a fantastic, versatile bed that we’re very happy with. It took some work to put together, but IKEA furniture is generally remarkably easy with reasonable instructions.

The Hamilton Beach ice cream maker (http://tinyurl.com/3e82w7y). Just takes up a little room in the freezer. Makes one lovely little serving of ice cream for each of us (sometimes not so little). Awesome.

Little Pookie. We love Sandra Boynton books. They’re silly and wacky and have good meter (mostly). There are now five Little Pookie books, and they are all reasonably entertaining. But the very best (and completely fantastic) is What’s Wrong, Little Pookie? Have kids? Read it. Don’t have kids? Read it anyway.

Tiffany Aching books. Generally speaking, I dislike coming-of-age novels. I’m not sure why. Perhaps we could set me on a therapist’s couch for a few hours to figure it out, but… no. However, the Tiffany Aching novels (starting with Wee Free Men) by Terry Pratchett are, in my opinion, too delightful to pass up. Yes, they’re partially frivolous and silly, but they’re also partially meaningful. They’re about responsibility and taking your place in the world. Oh, and also about dealing with boys, drunken fairies, frying pans, and the end of the world. So … good times.

Dug’s Joke. Possibly the best joke a dog has ever made. If you have not seen Up, you really really really should. I mean really. Pixar has turned out some really wonderful movies, and this is no exception. But, ahem, now for Dug’s joke: “A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, ‘I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead.’ Ha! It is funny because the squirrel gets dead.” True.

I was also going to review Wuthering Heights to, you know, give a little balance to all this gushing. But then I realized that if I got going, I might never stop. I might also find myself unable to repress the urge to start throwing things. And since my children are asleep, I don’t really want to wake them with the sound of breaking objects. So perhaps I’ll review that one next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment