In my usual wordgeek fashion, I have spent the last decade or so keeping an internal list of words that, on a QWERTY keyboard, use each finger exactly once (thumbs don’t count).* Please note that asking Google is cheating.
So what are these words, you ask? (Even though you probably didn’t.)
pleasing
placings (don’t quibble with me about whether “placing” can actually be pluralized; in my world, it can)
scalping
elapsing
clasping
jackpots
dystopia
Pontiacs
And now, most recently discovered: poniards! Hooray!
And, while we’re talking about words, here’s a completely different one to celebrate: “unstickinessing,” as in “That baby probably needs some unstickinessing.”**
*Don’t worry; this is not the only thing I’ve done in the last ten years.
**This word happily brought to you by my father, who first applied it to a table, not a baby. In my life, however, it’s probably equally applicable to both.
I was so excited to see you and your little family. I miss seeing all of you every week!
ReplyDelete