24 December 2011

Frivoling and Whuffing

Today, while my darling husband took Addra and Coriel out for some quality daddy playtime, I had the house to myself. So I took the opportunity to engage in both some frivoling and some whuffing.

Frivoling: Essentially time wasting. This is separate from things like relaxing or having fun. It’s more like filler that qualifies as sort of low-grade amusement. In this case, it was watching the rest of a movie that was only semi-interesting to me while I played computer games and avoided getting to work on cleaning the house. (Frivoling generally occurs in avoidance of some other activity.)

Also, in writing this post, I have discovered something tragic: The word “frivoling” was not of my very own invention (and yes, it is based on the word “frivolity,” but I hadn’t realized that it had already been turned into a verb). It is, in fact, a real word. Darn it, I was feeling creative for a minute there.

Whuffing: Doing productive stuff, sort of. We (Brice and I, not just the royal “we”) started using this word after we read this book in which the future currency is called “whuffy points.” Whuffy points are awarded based on, pretty much, how great people think you are. Hold a door open for someone with their arms full of books? Get some whuffy from them. Cut someone off in traffic? Lose some whuffy. So around our house whuffing is when you do something that the rest of the family will probably appreciate. Like laundry and cleaning and jazz like that.

And there you go! Brice played with the kiddos (which totally earned him whuffy in my book). I whuffed and frivoled (mostly whuffed, though). We watched some movies and relaxed and opened one Christmas eve present (pajamas for the girls, pillows for us), and had an all-round smashy-good Christmas eve.

And now for a completely unrelated picture. I’ll be posting more later, but this is from the family pictures Meghan took for us a couple weeks ago. Awesome!


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the words you come up with! And, even more, I love the card, gift, and essay you sent us. And, even more, I LOVE this picture of your family! It encapsulates joy. We adore you, have a Merry Christmas, and may your frivoling and whuffing be bright.

    ReplyDelete