27 February 2017

Before Moonlight There Was Mathcounts

So, by now you probably know all about the Oscars mishap where La La Land got told they won, but ... they didn't.

Well, I'm here to tell you I've been there and done that, in a way more geeky junior high sort of way.

It was the year 1995, and my teammates and I were at the national MathCounts competition. After a whole slew of different events--including nerdy mathematical interludes when the judges asked things like, "How many digits of pi have you memorized?"--we were announced as placing fifth out of the fifty-seven teams! We were both thrilled and shocked. Especially given how much goofing off we'd been doing.

Um yeah, we actually placed twentieth.

Naturally we drowned our sorrows in junk food, many rounds of card games, and a lot of tween angst. Also a lot of geekiness. Fortunately, we all recovered.

Here's the news article chronicling our tragedy: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/418107/MATH-OFFICIALS-CANT-ADD-UTAHNS-ARE-20TH-NOT-5TH.html?pg=all

Of particular note: the insanely pretentious answer I apparently gave to the question of future plans. Seriously? Could I possibly get more show-offy sounding? But it was good for a guffaw just now, so I'll call it a win.

Too bad it wasn't also a win for my MathCounts team.

No comments:

Post a Comment