Tapas stroll: A method of dining that involves walking to several restaurants and eating a small portion (called a tapa) at each location.
Here’s what I’ve learned to appreciate about a Utah mosquito: one bite. When you provide a meal for a mosquito in Utah, you are a single-course plate. Yes, the bite is big and itchy, but there’s only one. And if you catch the mosquito at work, you can probably smash it before it flies away. It is single-mindedly engrossed in its meal. You get a slightly nauseating blood splatter, of course, but it’s worth the satisfaction of knowing your diner shall dine no more.
Not so in Maryland. Here in Maryland, the mosquitoes stroll. They nibble. They move on. Your arm is an endless array of appetizers. You end up with five or six bites. Per mosquito. And they’re never in one place long enough to squish. And even if you do finally manage the death blow, you find yourself a bit put out. Five bites, and that’s all the blood you got? Suddenly you long for that awful blood splatter.
Perhaps, to them, this is fine dining. But I’m beginning to miss the simplicity of the one-course meal.
I think we have the same mosquitoes here! Great analogy - never heard of 'tapas' before. Made me smile - I LOVE your posts! :-) Miss you GOBS and GOBS!
ReplyDeleteI love it, I lived back East for a time and I am familiar with the fine dining approach to the mosquito bite! I too, prefer the one course wonders that discuss there dining expectations while swimming in standing water here in UT
ReplyDeleteI'm relieved to hear from both of you that I'm not just imagining this! And it's driving me MAD!
ReplyDelete