02 January 2012

a sky with many moons

Tonight it was cold with a blanket of thin clouds. But it was also amazing. We got an entry-level celestron telescope for Christmas for about $20. Tonight I got to test drive it on our back porch set on top of one of our kitchen stools. I got to see the moon, including some fairly clear craters. Then I switched to the higher power eye piece and could see even more craters and better detail. I was so excited that I came inside and hovered over J until she looked up "Moon!" "Moon!" I made her go out into the cold and look at it. (Thanks for coming out to share in the excitement). Then I sent her back in because of the cold. Then came the even more amazing part. I saw Jupiter's moons! At least 4 (in nice alignment) with 2 others on the other side. "Moons" "Moons". Best christmas present ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment