04 January 2017

Aspirational Groceries, Construction Vehicles

 Grocery shopping. I have two kinds:

Pessimistic. This involves a few items of produce that require no preparation, a few canned foods, and a lot of frozen pizza.

Aspirational. This is where I do something like get a new phone app that provides recipes and grocery lists. I menu plan. I dream of all this delicious food that my kids are totally going to eat. That I'm totally going to cook. Because I'm awesome. This grocery trip is almost entirely produce. And weird stuff I've never bought before, like feta cheese (Brice likes it, but I think it tastes like dirty socks)* and flaxseed meal. And it usually calls up mild cooking insecurities, like "Am I inferior because I don't know the difference between toasted sesame oil and just plain sesame oil?" Anyway, today was definitely an aspirational shipping sort of day.


In other news, I came out to kitchen today to discover that Koa had utterly destroyed a couple of corn muffins and was hauling them around in mini construction vehicles on our kitchen table. It says something about my child and our life right now, I think, that I was not at all surprised by this behavior.

And hey look! I figured out how to add photos! Thank you, internet. It's still a massive pain though, so no guarantees.


* Not that I make a habit of eating dirty socks.

5 comments:

  1. This totally makes me laugh!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Dirty socks. I'm with ya there. Not that I eat them either, but if I did, they would taste exactly like feta cheese, I'm sure!
    I'd love to hear the conversation that went on in Koa's head as he was deciding to use cornbread muffin crumbs as dirt to haul around! Or, maybe, it just totally made sense to him: crumbly things go in dump trucks...! So hilarious! And I'm always super impressed with the things you guys make! Makes me want to make them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the conversation was this: "Does it fit in my truck? Can I somehow make it fit in my truck? Then it must belong there!"

      Delete