Happy early thanksgiving! I'm thankful for giggles. C and A got shots yday, so they were a bit grumpy today (mild fevers, tired). So tonight A fought going to bed more than normal. This would often make me grumpy, but tonight part of our delay was great. We have a very nice tulip lamp (nice = cute, not expensive). Well, we spent probably 5 minutes just waving to the lamp and making happy noises. I would say hi and she would giggle or do her happy snake-baby hiss or some other noise. Her giggles were the best, because they make me laugh - completely involuntary I tell you. Very sweet, and a nice end to a very long day. Later she got sad after glimpsing her mom, but not getting to go to her. Waily waily sad. Tried everything, no luck. Prayed, tried some more. So then - hmm, she's awake - I'll check the email I got on my phone. She got distracted. Then she stopped crying. Then I gave her an old nonfunctioning phone to hold (the kids are never satisfied with toy phones). She flipped it open and close, open and close. She settled down. Her eyes we're closed and she was resting on my arm and still - open and close. Oh, and trying to rub her tired eyes or now-snuffly nose with it. Doesn't work so well. Finally she went to rub her hair with it - another fave, and she lost her grip and kind of flung it away. Semi-flung? And she didn't get upset because she was asleep. Hooray! Hooray for a smartphone being an answer to prayer. Another 5 or 10 minutes and I was able to lay her down* and though she cried out a bit, she stayed asleep. Happy days. Or rather nights.
* head and/or arms touching or constrained by a pillow or an arm (still attached to its patient parent ofc). Feet must be able to strech to full extension without hitting anything. Get it right and it mostly works. Mess it up and you have to pick her up agaiin and wait for her to cycle to deeper sleep again. But hey, it works better than the alternatives.
No comments:
Post a Comment