I was finishing making dinner tonight in the kitchen when Coriel walked up to me. “Laban, may we please have the scriptures?” she asked.
Well, I didn’t know we were going to be playing this game, but I still knew my part. “Argh, no,” I said (generally speaking, my bad guy impressions sound like either pirates or dinosaurs). “And you better go away before I send my guards after you.”
She ran off and came back a minute or two later, holding some foam blocks in her hand.
“Laban, we will pay you for the scriptures.”
“Argh, no. I will take your money, and you better run away now!” I took her blocks and chased her away.
Well, I knew my next part, so I went into the living room to lie down and pretend to be drunk so Nephi-Coriel could slay me. (I used a small train track piece as my sword that I held as I slept in the streets.)
From down the hallway, I could hear Coriel and Brice talking together and something that sounded a little like praying. Then they came back into the living room to find me sprawled on the floor.
“Change of script,” Brice said. “We decided to pray, and Heavenly Father helped you be nice.”
“Oh, okay.”
I popped up off the floor, and Coriel asked me again for the scriptures.
“Well, can I have your Elmo toy?” I asked. She gave it to me, and I gave her a copy of this month’s Friend and Ensign magazines. “Here you go.”
She thanked me for them and went off to read with her daddy.
Sometimes Coriel’s sweetness is overwhelming. She often likes to change our stories so that the bad guys become good and helpful. So lovely.*
In other news, by the way, Addra is just starting to really walk a bit. Three or four steps in a row today. Fun!
*This post probably doesn’t make much sense if you haven’t read the Book of Mormon or my church’s magazines, the Friend and Ensign. Sorry!
Read this to my kids. We all laughed! I love that Coriel makes the bad guys good. There is a book titled "Big Bad Wolf is Good" that she would probably really enjoy. It's how the Big, Bad Wolf decides to be good, and what follows his decision. We like it.
ReplyDelete