There are apparently some great advantages to having a skinny nearly-four-year-old and a chubby one-year-old.
We were at the toy store the other day, just window shopping and having fun. Coriel was sitting on the floor pushing buttons on a toy laptop, and I was standing with Addra pushing more buttons. Suddenly I had a suspicion and looked over toward Coriel. She was still sitting, but now with a furtive expression on her face and her hand over her lap. And she looked up at me as innocently as she could.
Oh no, I thought.
“Did you have a pee out?” I asked, as calmly as I possibly could.
“Yes,” she said in her sweet little voice.
“Okay,” I said. “Let’s clean it up.” And I helped her get up, trying not to sound grumpy (which I was) or panicked (which I also was).
See, I always carry diapers and wipes with me. And also a spare set of panties and pants for Coriel, even though we pretty much never need them anymore. But on this day, I had forgotten to restock my purse. All I had was a few diapers and wipes for Addra.
I looked at Coriel’s shirt. Too short to pass as a dress.
I looked through my purse again, hoping I’d magically find something. No luck.
The car was too far away to just run there and hope no one paid us any attention, and there was no children’s clothing in the store that I could quickly buy.
Well, one crisis at a time. We went in the bathroom, and I helped her peel off her wet panties and pants while holding Addra in my sling (best invention ever for these sorts of moments!). And crouching there in the bathroom, desperately wondering what to do, my eyes fell on Addra.
Addra was wearing pants. Coriel was not wearing pants. A solution appeared.
So I stripped off Addra’s pants, gave them to Coriel, and just let Addra hang out in only her onesie.
Of course, I had no extra panties for Coriel, soooo… well, you do the best you can.
This is just plain awesome. Nothing more to be said. Except maybe, "What parent hasn't had this happen to them?" My experience was completely unbeknownst to me, until I realized we were at a park, and A had nothing on underneath her DRESS!
ReplyDelete